Separation of Church and State--Legality and Ethics

Discuss serious topics. No trolls permitted!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
7 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
Hanyou
Killclaw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Separation of Church and State--Legality and Ethics

Postby Hanyou » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:50 pm

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:49 pm

Unfortunately, I have neither the depth of understanding nor sources at hand to provide nearly the same caliber of debate here.

That being said, some thoughts I would like to contribute:

The United States has been founded on the myth of religious freedom, when in fact it has always been the case of those seeking freedom from religion versus those seeking to impose their religious cause -- the so-called Cities of God established by Puritans and the like who, rather than fleeing persecution, as is mistakenly taught in our schools, they were rather motivated by the desire to completely dominant their society with Puritanical thought and law.
Jefferson/Madison envisioned the separation of church and state as one that would be free from making influential decisions -- the state, wholly secular, would not impose any theology or school of religious thought. Under their original desire for separation, the many "traditions" we hold, like "In God we Trust" on our coins and "Under God" in our pledge, or the establishment of army chaplains, congressional prayer service, etc. -- all these things would be in violation of such a separation. They are actions of a government imposing religion on the people.

Unfortunately, the Constitution was not written in such a way to make this original meaning clear. Therefore we are left with a vaguely written law that has been abused and worked around. America is a Christian nation, and to think anything else is to live in fantasy-land. We are dominated by religious fervor and ideological thought. To be anything other than a Christian is to feel continuously alienated, pressured, and counted as sub-human.

1) More Americans distrust Atheists than they distrust Muslims.
2) Atheists are the most-hated/distrusted demographic in America.

Not only does society look down on those of a non-Christian faith, the government clearly favors Christianity. It is the defacto religion of our nation, and Congress has several times over violated the spirit of the 1st amendment by establishing Christianity -- again, look at our money, our legislative assemblies.

So in answer to your question (as I understand it): Yes, absolutely, that freedom of religion is synonymous with freedom from religion.

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

Hanyou
Killclaw

Postby Hanyou » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:36 pm

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:49 am

Last edited by Kinokokao on Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seniwac
Manticor

Postby Seniwac » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:27 am

lolethics

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:19 am

*sheds a tear* my two most favorite people in the whole world... <3 this is why I love the both of you. Maybe I should try to join them. ^_^ I'll think about it some more. First, I got to read all of that!

[] - [] - [] - []

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:53 am

<3!

Aw, so sweet! :3

>_> Read it, Maxine! And read Stone of Tears!

7 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Debate & Serious Topics”