EO Rantage

Discuss the first game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

359 posts
Reynard-Miri
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: EO Rantage

Postby Reynard-Miri » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:00 pm

Introduced a 6-year-old girl named Nina to Etrian Odyssey on my first plane flight yesterday. She made a female alchemist named Electra. =3 (Her original idea was to name the character Lightning Girl, so I had to help her came up with a name that was 8 characters or less. Stupid name size limit. =/)

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:29 pm

How sweet of you <3

Every child I know has no interest in RPGs. I end having to play Contra or any similar variants to keep them amused. Not that I mind, but I wish they were better at it =(

Reynard-Miri
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Reynard-Miri » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:05 am

I've found RPGs are the kind of games that little kids love to hear about and like to watch (barring grinding sessions), but that they're not particularly good at playing them. Take Pokemon, for example. My little brother loves Pokemon, but he's all brute force. Almost exclusively uses his starter pokemon and doesn't use switching to level other pokemon. Thankfully it's the kind of game that you can usually brute force.

For characters, you have to explain what what they do descriptive terms. Make a small story of it. Take my Survivalist, Natalie, for example. I could have said that she's a Survivalist that balances damage and support. Instead, I said something like "This is Natalie. She's our evasion expert. She's a scout who helps us get the drop on enemies. She also helps us avoid being attacked."

edit: Sorry, reminiscing.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:07 am

Hey, so, as indicated above, I started playing EO1 again last week. I've managed to find out pretty much everything I need to online, but there's one I haven't: ailment/bind success rate. I do know is that EO1 is very different from EO3 here (thanks to scy), and I have found the base success rates of the different skills. All I really need to know is what stats, if any, increase/decrease the success rate. Anyone know?

Thanks!

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:48 pm

So I'm playing EO again. This will be my third trip through the game (even though the second trip ended prematurely when my sister decided to try to take a stab at the game).

I'm going with
L, S, D
M, A

Though I might switch my S with my M and make another Battle Medic.

Can anyone give me some decent pointers on a proper build for a Survivalist. What are its best skills? ... It still feels odd and very scary to not have a Protector in my party. o_o;; *worry worry*

Except for my Medic, I chose all different portraits and am trying to go with a new team and not one based off of my original. I'm already done with the first floor and am in the inn about to head down and face my first FOE. Wish me luck ^_^

But I seriously really do feel that I just like the first game better out of all the series. I just can't even bring myself to WANT to pick up the third game, even if only to restart and try another team situation. I just felt all the subclassing and new features made things feel too clunky and overwhelming. I also dislike how short the game felt and how... it just seemed to lose the mysterious feeling to the series. Simplicity is best.

[] - [] - [] - []

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:54 pm

Trickery, Ambush, Aware. 1st Turn can be a life saver. Oh, and Apollon is pretty sick, too. Disable might be worth a point or two, but it doesn't increase in damage all that much as you put points into it. Personally, I like to split my skill points pretty evenly between Bow-based and Agi-based skills.

But seriously: Trickery and at least 1 point in Aware and 2 points in Ambush. Those aren't TP intensive, and there will be times when they'll save your ass. They're called Survivalists for a reason.

Emrin
Killclaw

Postby Emrin » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:46 pm

Years after beating this game it still finds ways to stump me.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:39 am

Emrin, it's been a while but from what I recall about the sprout is that it is a rare encounter and that the location that everyone points to is just the "more frequent" spot. I, too, recall seeing it in one other location. It has been many years but if my memory serves me, when I was searching for the sprout, I was just traveling the whole of that floor in three different areas. I can no longer remember those areas or if my memory is even accurate but that's what I think happened.

As for boss respawns, bosses do not respawn until (I can't remember too well) you have defeated the next boss or you have made it to the next stratum after defeating said boss (though seriously, most of the time, you're going to do both of these at the same time anyways). If I recall, I think Fenrir was an exception and would sometimes respawn before fighting the next boss, but I can't remember too well.

Aww, memory so fuzzy.

[] - [] - [] - []

Emrin
Killclaw

Postby Emrin » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:47 am

Ah! So mine ISN'T horribly corrupted! *sigh of relief* I was honestly on the verge of restarting my game yet again cause I thought that would solve my issues. Thanks Maxine.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:20 pm

^_^ Not a problem. Nope. I wouldn't worry about your game being corrupted. Sounds like it's doing exactly what it needs to be.

As for my current play through:

:3 On the third floor. I can't believe how much I am into playing this game again. It's like my heroin at the moment. I wanted to play it ALL day while at work. God I don't know why I'm so drawn to this game <3

I still feel a little lost with my survivalist but I think once I start hitting the later floors and start understanding the moves and techniques, I'll like her a little better. Also thinking about making my Landsknecht a sword user this time around. Last two play throughs I used axes predominately. Maybe I should give the sword skills a try. I hear Allslash was one of hte better techs in the game if I recall correctly.

[] - [] - [] - []

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:49 am

Yeah, Allslash is pretty much your can of "Random-B-Gone". Swords can use the chaser skills as well which do some pretty good damage if you have more than one toon with elemental attacks.

I should really get around to finished that new run I started. But I really hate how you can't use Ronins until the 3rd strata =(

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:56 am

Oh man, the only thing worse than that is not being able to use Hexers until... some point after the furtherest I have gotten in the game. It was super lame, since they looked so cool. Well, the female ones did. The male ones looked like floating torsos.

Once, I had a black-haired male alchemist named "Roy" and a blue-haired male landsknecht named "Hughes". Alchemist got fire skills, of course.

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:00 am

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:19 am

Then you should get EO2. They're both available from the start there.
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:27 am

I did. For pretty much exactly that reason.

Plus I already had 1 and 3, soooo...

359 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey”