EO Rantage

Discuss the first game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

359 posts
Kezle
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: EO Rantage

Postby Kezle » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:52 am

Thanks for the tips, I have quite a way to go before the third strata so I guess I'll stick with the Alchemist for now as the poison and elemental damage have been useful so far but Troubadour does sound good and I was planning on a battle medic anyway so it should fit right in when/if I decide to switch. Relaxing was the main reason I was thinking of switching because anything that restores TP is always useful but Bravery sounds really good as well, looks like there is a lot of grinding ahead of me :wink:.

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:30 am

Oh man oh man oh man. I got to the (sort of?) final boss and naturally he wiped the floor with my party. But this technically doesn't even count as a rant because I'm so happy and excited to have finally made it to the end*!

*thoughiunderstandthere'sreallymoreforpost-gamestuffbutshhhletmehavemymoment<3

I had to rest my medic and my survivalist because they were both lacking two ridiculously useful skills I didn't know they were missing, so here's to grinding them back up to their former glory!

Kezle
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kezle » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:57 pm

Congrats! I know when I played EO3 (my first Etrian Odyssey game) I was so excited when I reached the 'final' boss that I accidentally went into the room as soon as I found it and was engaged in battle before I could do anything subsequently getting my whole party slaughtered..... At least things like that just make it feel so much better when you go back and beat them.
Just out of curiosity what skills were they missing?

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:54 pm

Yeah, I was so excited I almost went in immediately. XD I'm surprised I beat it on the second try without any of my characters getting anywhere near death.

I never got 1st Turn for my survivalist because I didn't think I'd use it, and I didn't put enough points into Immunize with my medic. According to a guide I found, those two things were important for this boss specifically.

And now I just have quests from the pub to complete...

I can't wait to start EO II. :D

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:00 pm

Woooo! Congrats, Trifkin!

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:45 pm

Yeah 1st Turn is a lifesaver. Trickery is great skill on its own as well, so it doesn't feel like a waste investing it.

Kezle
Ragelope

Postby Kezle » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:04 pm

Ah yes, the all important Immunize. I haven't gotten 1st Turn yet (I've only just started this game and am still near the beginning), is it really that useful? In my own experience I've found skills like that can either be great or just meh and only for certain situations.
Also enjoy EO2, it's really good and I think it's actually one of the best games in the series (though of course I haven't finished the first one yet).

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:55 pm

1st Turn allows the targeted unit to act first on the turn its used. The main use of it is to put up Immunize before the enemy lands a single attack on you. Its also useful if you want to say, use a healing skill like Salve at the beginning of a turn as well. It also has offensive uses, like say, pairing it up with the Landsknect's Allslash during random encounters.

EO2 pretty much builds and improves on all aspects in EO1. So I'd recommend finishing the main scenario of EO1 first. You could do post-game is you want, but IMO the post-game of EO1 is the worst in the series, due to the fact that you're forced to used a very specific party to deal with the majority of the post-game bosses.

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:47 pm

I wish I'd known about 1st Turn much sooner! It comes in very handy for me.

And that last stratum! O_____O Comments spoilered for spoilerness:

And I confess, I wasn't patient enough to finish the post-final-boss quests... I'm already a couple of hours into EO II. ^3^;;;; Loving it so far.

Kezle
Ragelope

Postby Kezle » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:29 am

1st Turn does sound like it could be a life saver, I'll have to get that for my Survivalist now, thanks.
Glad you're enjoying EO2, what party did you go with? Mine was:
Ronin/Dark Hunter/War Magus
Gunner/Hexer
A rather unusual setup for me since I almost always go with three in the back (and my War Magus did sometimes swap out). But at risk of going off topic here I'll return to EO1 with a mini rant on what just happened to me this afternoon.
After mapping the last bit of the fifth floor I took on Fenrir who went down without a problem leaving me to waltz into the second strata……. where after deciding to take a quick peek at the surroundings I was ambushed by venomgels and my entire party (who were pretty drained after the boss fight) poisoned and killed. Thank God I saved at the geomagnetic field otherwise that would have been really annoying.

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:38 am

I'll post in the EO II forum about my current party. :D

I stopped EO II for a bit to try and finish up the last few quests I have for EO. I'm going to miss being completely overpowered for almost every enemy, haha. (any random encounter on every floor unless it's those damn flowers in the fifth stratum = hold down A while reading a book)

Kezle
Ragelope

Postby Kezle » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:50 am

That wonderful moment when your characters are all at max levels and you crush everything in sight.... and then you go start all over again at level one getting the crap beaten out of you by moles and hedgehogs. Good times :D.

SpacemanDan
Ragelope

Postby SpacemanDan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:47 am

So after relentlessly trying for the past few days, I finally took down Wyrm! :D It was close though. My Troubador was down, and I had no means to revive her. Thankfully Wyrm was down to his last sliver of health, which the rest of my team was able to knock out. One howl though would have probably ended things, knowing my luck with confusion, lol.

But regardless, I beat Wyrm, and I'm freaking ecstatic.

...Admittedly, what may not have helped with me having a hard time with it was that my Troubador was low level and died when coughed on slightly. >_> And I kinda goofed my medic's skill points a bit. (I plan to fix this once she hits 70)

With that, the 3 dragons are down. I still have a few other things to do before I carry on with the 6th stratum, but I'm just so glad to have that out of the way for now. (Then the fun of the scales can begin later... ._.)

Now, as an aside - is retiring worth doing for the post game or is the post game something I could get by without doing? Or is that more party-specific? And if I may ask one more question, what are some good places to grind? I've tried searching about, but haven't really found anything that works well for the later parts of the game. ):

heprea
Diabolix

Postby heprea » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:42 pm

I remember myself grinding levels in the last stratrum near the healing well.
Is it the best? No idea but, it worked for me.

As for the retiring I dont remember too well, I dont even remember how many extra levels can you gain with retiring, somehow i have this image that you can get only 1 extra level by doing so.

Mole-chan I....

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:53 pm

359 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey”