EO Rantage

Discuss the first game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

359 posts
Slaix223
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: EO Rantage

Postby Slaix223 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:56 pm

So I decided to be a silly person and am playing the original EO alongside EOU. Obviously I can't use my EOU party in this game, so things are a bit different. My party currently consists of:

Protector/Dark Hunter
Alchemist/Medic/Survivalist

Currently finding it kind of funny that my protector is the main source of DPS, as Front/Back Guard seem really, really terrible in this game. I should really look at a skill tree to plan things out for the future, as I know I'll want those elemental guards at some point.

Actually that goes for in general, cause I don't have a clue what I need for the things I want. I'll do that now.

In any case, in the first stratum, B3F, and I'm wondering if the escape rate in this game is just absurdly high, cause it's basically getting to the point where I'm never using warp wires just cause I can escape from every fight before monsters even get a turn.

Also FOEs seem... A lot easier, really. I shouldn't be killing these things, but I am, and without major losses or problems either (see my thoughts on warp wires above). So... Yeah. It's definitely still hard, but it just feels a lot different.

Slaix223
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Slaix223 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:53 am

So, uh, I kmow double-posting is usually frowned upon and such, but no one else seems to say much here, and I'm still providing new material in this post so I hope that's alright!

Anyway, nearing the end of the second stratum. All I need to do is fight Cernunnos, and I'm done. I tried once, and I got wiped. Can't tell if he was just a jerk (Used that full party attack 3 times in a row), or if he really doesn't like it if you kill both Curollers. I'll just have to see.

In other news, FOEs are still basically babied except for one per stratum (Stalkers in 1st, Moas in 2nd) so that's kind of disappointing, still. I feel bad knowing I can kill them absurdly easily.

Anyway, milestones are being reached for my characters. My alchemist is set up for tri-element learning well, my survivalist is dealing loads of damage with Apollon, and my protector can guard the front row more than once per turn!

...Now if only I could learn to make sure I was always prepared before stepping into the labyrinth each time. Sigh...

GhostsandDragons
Fenrir

Postby GhostsandDragons » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:07 am

Oh jeez. I just beat the 2nd stratum boss. (aka "my least favorite boss in any game ever") Now that I've made it to the 3rd strata I'm really starting to feel the map making burn with all these pits. Something tells me this is gonna be a bit harder to map than it was when I played EOU...
The odds of finding me online are only slightly higher then finding a shiny pokemon

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:56 am

I was playing Untold yesterday and then I was like... "god I miss the original"
So I found and charged my old DS and fired it up.

First off let me just say why the HELL does the game look so awful on the 3DS. Just wanted to say that and get that out of my system - hence why I sought out my original DS. Which leads me to a side tracking of: my god the DS Lite is SOOOOOO much more comfortable to hold than the 3DS.

BUT to the game.
^_^ It feels so antiquated now but my god it feels so deliciously refreshing. It's not spoofed up wtih a lot of fancy tricks. It's so simplistic. Sure I'm missing some preferred mapping icons but hell...

It really just goes back to me saying: I LOVE LOVE LOVE the first game and so far none of the newer EO games even holds a candle to it. Aww~ Debating whether if I want a Protector or a Dark Hunter in my team...

So far it's
L / ? / M
S / A

L is going to be an axe wielder. Medic is going to be a Battle Medic. Not really considering post game here which I've always devised a new team for post game anyways and have always treated it like it's own so that's not in my head.

Maybe a Troubadour but buffs have never really been my thing in this game apart from the obvious (Immunize).

[] - [] - [] - []

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:12 am

Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:10 pm

Neat trick and I tried to use it except that it then made the screen waaaaaay small. That is not the original dimensions at all. I could barely read the words and with my vision problems there's no way in hell I could play like that let alone try to map.

Wow.... that's really sucky of the DS.

[] - [] - [] - []

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:35 pm

Small? Oh wait, I was thinking of my 3DS XL. On a regular 3DS it might be small indeed.
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:36 am

Indeed. And after my DS started playing around with switching on on me for no apparent reason I've gotten scared - back a few years ago I had to send it in for repairs because it would turn off inexplicably and this is how the problem started. My DS is like "no". So I'm just going to suck it up and deal with the grainy issues which actually after my eyes have adjusted to the downgraded graphics things don't look that bad after taking another look.

Kinda funny. I put the game up and popped in Untold after that and I was like O_O wow... beautiful... *drool*
Whatever, the gameplay is still better :3

[] - [] - [] - []

isometric
Killclaw

Postby isometric » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:29 pm

Whenever I think of playing this one again, I always remember how nightmarishly-long the grind to 70 is compared to the later ones. Even treefrogs take forever! :(

Also, does it drive anyone else crazy that you can't reorganize your guild roster in this one? Like, say you retire a front row L for a Surv instead. Now every single time you change your roster, you have to manually shift the S down two slots in your formation if you want it in the back. What's worse, you train up a Protector in the 6th row but want it in your front row... oh the horror.

Screw moving sideways/all the new icons/whatever other things the later games brought to the table, being able to reorganize your roster was literally the greatest contribution to the series EVER!

nekohime
Ragelope

Postby nekohime » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:48 pm

So I started playing this for the first time yesterday. Right now I'm going with:
L/D/D
T/M

I also made a second party for gathering, farming rare drops, and getting conditionals that my main party misses:
P/M
S/S/A

I've just finished the 1st floor so far, we'll see how it goes. I feel like EOIII has spoiled me. I also feel like I'm crazy for thinking I'm spoiled by an EO game of all things.

Also, hello again everyone!

isometric
Killclaw

Postby isometric » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:32 pm

nekohime
Ragelope

Postby nekohime » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:47 am

GhostsandDragons
Fenrir

Postby GhostsandDragons » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:59 am

I finally managed to beat one of the 3 post game dragons (the volt based one). The entire battle was actually kinda funny, all the boss did was spam voltage and corrupt so my offence narrowed down to allslash and apollon while my protector and troubadour spam anti-volt and bravery. Now I can to go back to grinding so I can actually get my party to lv.70 again. I'll probably hunt for boss drops while I'm at it.
The odds of finding me online are only slightly higher then finding a shiny pokemon

nekohime
Ragelope

Postby nekohime » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:40 am

I'm still playing this, but I've been going pretty slowly. Between playing other stuff when I'm home and making sure I have enough of each item (including rare/conditional/boss drops) to unlock everything as soon as it's available I'm just now halfway through the second stratum.

Even with a second party to help getting drops I'm a bit over-leveled as I killed the Wyvern at level 31 before flagging the quest for the egg. Good news is my Ecstasy x3 setup is working nicely (I swapped out the L in my first party for a third D back on B2F). Even with 10% bind effectiveness I got full bind on it 3 out of 4 fights.

359 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey”