Close Calls With FOEs

Discuss the first game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
2 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
Centurion_Beta
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Close Calls With FOEs

Postby Centurion_Beta » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:52 am

It seems like every time I play this game, I have some kind of super-close-call that is unique only to EO. Battles that really make me worry that I won't make it, but then end up surviving somehow are my favorite kind of battles, although whether they are there by design or because I go into battles underprepared is up for debate. But I love that feeling of a true challenge that I can't run from. Anyway, on to the specifics.

Story #1

Just today, I cleared B12 on my second playthrough (PL/AAM). If you're familiar with that section of B12 containing Royalant, you'll know it's a pain not only because it was extremely difficult to find (at least for me) but also because as soon as you engage Royalant, Bloodants spawn in the four corners of the room (and remembering my Fenrir strategy, I tried to eliminate them first... they just regenerate indefinitely.) So after I just barely made it out of a seemingly never-ending battle with Bloodants, I stayed at the inn and came back, deciding to take on Royalant. Needless to say, it wasn't pretty. Royalant kept using attacks like Crunch (which killed my Paladin by turn 5) and the multi-hitting Hammer (which kept killing one of my alchemists). In the end, it came down to my alchemists using their spells (thankfully, they both have TP regen lv. 10, so they never ran out) and my medic reviving someone in the front row so my back row wouldn't be forced up. I made it through and I think everyone was alive.

Story #2 OH LOOK SPOILERS FOR EVERYONE WHO HASN'T PLAYED THROUGH B20

[spoiler]

My second close call came from my first playthrough (PLS/AM), when I was fighting Ren & Tlatchga on whatever floor they're on (B21+). At the time, I all but expected that fight, seeing as they had showed up in every stratum prior, and at that point I was pretty pissed with them because Ren was being herself. The fight was the most fulfilling I've ever had in the game... At one point, everyone in my party but my medic was dead, except she never switched to the front row because I kept reviving my front-row guys desperately trying to pull it together. Amazingly, just reviving my front row and watching them get killed over and over again worked, as eventually one of them survived a turn and was able to get healed. After that, I was actually able to revive everyone else and finish the fight easily. It was just amazing that I could come back from that situation and win even though in pretty much any other game (or any other situation in this game), it would have been hopeless.

[/spoiler]

So those are my two really close calls with FOEs. I'm sure you all have some of your own you'd like to share, due to their inherent epicness.

Spoiler tags added by Kino

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:18 am

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

2 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Etrian Odyssey”