Retired characters, help with final skill builds?

Discuss the first game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Apolloncrash
Killclaw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Retired characters, help with final skill builds?

Postby Apolloncrash » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:58 am

First of all, I'd like to apologize for asking for help with my first post, but I'm a little desperate at the moment.

I retired my whole party at level 70 and am looking to get perfect (subjective, I know) builds and I don't want to screw up and have to rest, leveling up to 70 again is annoying enough.

After looking aroud for a while I found this place and I think it looks like a good friendly community (much more so than the other forums I visit), so I thought I'd ask for help here. The builds I'm thinking to aim for at the moment are:

Medic

Hp Up 10
Tp Up 10
Healer 10
Salve 10
Immunize 10
ATK Up 10
Caduceus 10
Cure 3
Cure III 3
Revive 1
Scavenge 1

Being a combat Medic she needs ATK Up, HP Up and Caduceus. I really wanted at least 1 level in Cure III, because it can be useful in certain situations (ie enemies ganging up on one character), so I figured I’d just level it up twice more to get Revive, so I have no need for a bagful of nectars (just 1 for the rare case she dies), therefore I can carry more loot, therefore I can stay in the dungeon longer. The point in Scavenge was just leftover and I didn’t see anything else to do with it.

My only concern about this build is that I’ve seem a lot of people saying that for the post-game superbosses Salve II is almost necessary. I just figured that I’ve already got 3 points in Salve, may as well max it (plus I didn’t want to waste points in useless crap like Cure II).

Protector

HP Up 10
TP Up 10
DEF Up 8
Shields 10
Smite 10
Fortify 5
Antifire 5
Antivolt 5
Anticold 5
En Garde 10

The only thing I’m not sure about with this build is whether to swap it to:

DEF Up 10
En Garde 8

At first I was pretty sure about my build but then I read somewhere that Smite’s damage output is based on your DEF so… now I’m unsure.

Bard

HP Up 10
TP Up 5
Songs 10
Divinity 10
Recovery 5
Relaxing 10
Healing 10
Erasure 3
Bravery 10
Blaze 1
Frost 1
Shock 1
Mercury 1

1 Leftover?

This build is just… honestly I have no idea what to do with these points. I initially planned to rest him after everyone had hit 70 for the second time and get rid of Divinity (and even better Recovery), but I don’t think I’ll bother. I’d probably put the points in Stalker/Return or something, so he wouldn’t be any stronger in battle, but this way, when I decide to raise up the other classes I don’t use much (or at all) his Divinity will help them catch up a lot faster.

As you can see from the build I was desperately shoving those points places they don’t really help much (I mean how often will I have to cancel a speed debuff in any fight that isn’t a cakewalk already? Or cancel 2 enemy buffs at once?), but I couldn’t see anywhere else to put them. At all. A pity since he is the most useful member of my party, except maybe my…

Survivalist

Hp Up 10
Tp Up 10
AGI Up 5
Ambush 10
Bows 10
Apollon 10
Multi-hit 10
1st Turn 1
Quicken 3
Trickery 9

Ok, my Survivalist is the backbone of my party, I mean her DPS is more than double my Landsknecht’s! I really, really don’t want to screw up her build, but unfortunately I’m not 100% sure about my choices. Obviously Multi-hit and Apollon (FTW) are not negotiable. I also cannot part with Ambush 10 (I know there is only an 8% difference between levels 5 and 10, but it is so incredibly useful to get a pre-emptive that I think that warrants the 5 extra points). TP Up for more Ap – > Mh awesomeness. HP Up because I can’t risk my main damage dealer dying. I put Trickery at 9 because at 10 it is only a 1% difference. I put the remaining 2 points into AGI Up, because 7% is a decent bonus, and I didn’t know what to do with them, but as I said, I really want an absolutely optimal set-up for her and it feels stupid putting points into AGI, because she always goes first anyway (although I’ve yet to touch the 6th stratum, so for all I know all enemies down there are lightning quick).

Landsknecht

Hp Up 10
Tp Up 10
ATK Up 10
DEF Up 10
Axes 10
Swords 5
Crush 10
2-Hit 10
Arm Heal 1

2 Leftover?

I’m at a loss for what to do with my Landsknecht. Before retirement he was running a hybrid sword/axe build, but once axes got up, even though I did level Allslash and what have you, I never used my swords again. Against FOEs and bosses, obviously, he just spams Crush, but I heard that Allslash was awesome for random encounters, so I tried it and even at high levels, I much prefer my axe. I mean, what’s better, almost 1-shotting any enemy with a regular attack (which can easily be mopped up by pretty much anything), or taking about 1/3 (or less) life off a few with a skill? So, because of these reasons, I decided to completely ignore swords on his new build.

However, that puts me I bit of a dilemma. I now go from having not enough points to too many. Even maxing 2-Hit (which in itself is pretty much a waste of points) and learning Arm Heal, I am left with 2 points and absolutely nothing to put them in.

So, those are the builds I am currently considering. I would greatly appreciate any and all comments and critique as I desperately need help and there is probably a bunch I messed up/overlooked. Once again I apologize for the rudeness of asking for help, without contributing anything first.

Edit: I started grinding up my Landsknecht today and realised that I completely forgot that 2-Hit requires Swords 5, so I’ve tweaked his build to include that (which does make for less leftover points, however, it is at the cost of wasting even more points in skills which are primarily (for this build anyway), useless…)

Apolloncrash
Killclaw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Apolloncrash » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:32 am

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:37 am

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:50 am

Apolloncrash
Killclaw

Postby Apolloncrash » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:12 am

Don't Die.

alexpk86
Bloodant

Re: Retired characters, help with final skill builds?

Postby alexpk86 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:23 am

Since you are using a Troubadour I don't really see the point in all these TP UP you gave to your characters.

Medic:
No Salve? With Immunize up all the time I NEVER had problems with the heals, Salve is cheap (10TP IIRC) and cover your needs.
Then again...it's a battle medic, why 10 points in Healer. I'd put points only to unlock that Revive.

Protector:
En Garde doesn't work. Neither does Provoke and F./B. Guard work oddly.
You really only need Protectors for antis in the post-game, but if you like to use them during exploration I'd suggest maxing Defender.

Troubadour:
Okay. I'd put more points in Erasure so that the char acts faster (like the leftover and that one point in mercury)

Survivalist:
Okay, but at least 5 points in 1st Turn IIRC at lv5 it's 100% of success, afterwards it lower the cost (who cares)

Landsknecht:
Stunner all the way...and that Head binding skill.
2-hit is situational, I wouldn't use it.
"Who are you people and where's my horse?"

Apolloncrash
Killclaw

Postby Apolloncrash » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:04 pm

Thanks for the reply alexpk86.

I put points in TP Up because Relaxing is percentage based, so the higher your max TP, the more TP gained each turn. It has worked out quite well for me; when I need to top up during exploration it is fast, and in long boss fights I never run out of TP.

Medic:
So no need to go to Salve II? Good. I put points in Healer, because I already got all the Combat Medic stuff maxed (HP Up, ATK Up, Cadaceus) and so built up her healing abilities and getting Healer and her main healing skill (Salve) maxed seemed likie the best way to go.

Protector:
I know about Provoke not working properly (hence no points in it), but, contrary to popular misconception, En Garde does work, It just doesn't have it's own message when it activates, simply showing up as a miss. If you don't believe me build two identical Protectors, but give one 10 En Garde and go to B1F and keep defending. You clearly see one getting hit alot more than the other one (someone on some other site said to do this and I tried it and it is correct). I had Defender before the Retire, but I found that the later in the game you are, the more it just becomes a waste of a buff slot.

Bard:
Sounds good. I think I'll do that then.

Survivalist:
1st Turn is bugged and has a 100% success rate, even at level 1.

Landsknecht:
Stunner has lower damage than Crush, and Silencer's damage is barely registerable...
I know 2-hit sucks, but I couldn't think of anywhere better to put the points.

alexpk86
Bloodant

Postby alexpk86 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:17 pm

Still I don't remember having TP issues even without TP UP, like the Medic with Sage Wand and his class armor had enough tp to recover 12tp per turn (except for Immunize which was 14tp, other skills were using exactly 12tp or less)

Crush lv10: 210% VS Stunner lv10: 190% + 75% stun
You could try Hell Cry instead of 2-Hit.

also you enlightened me on En Garde and 1st Turn, thanks XD

Apolloncrash
Killclaw

Postby Apolloncrash » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:46 pm

Weird, the spreadsheet from the downloads sections says that it is:
Crush lv10: 110% VS Stunner lv10: 90% + 15% stun, while the stuff Scy uploaded has it how you just said. I wonder which is right? I might be reading that spreadsheet wrong (funnily enough I found It's data much harder to understand than the stuff Scy uploaded, which I pretty much understood). Although I would probably still pick Crush anyway.

Hell Cry is even worse than 2-hit because it uses a precious buff slot (btw, I've been wondering, is there still only three buff slots in EOII and EOIII).

As far as ditching TP Up goes, I might be able to see it for the Medic, but the other classes (that I use) have such shitty base TP, that they need it to see decent returns from Relaxing (not to mention that the Survivalist burns through TP like crazy).

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:10 pm

alexpk86
Bloodant

Postby alexpk86 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:28 pm

Apolloncrash
Killclaw

Postby Apolloncrash » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:28 pm

SAL
Bloodant

Postby SAL » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:15 pm

Apolloncrash
Killclaw

Postby Apolloncrash » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:05 am

Would't it get really annoying having to cast 10 buffs every fight? I find it annoying enough just having to cast Immunize all the time.

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:23 am

20 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey”