First impressions of the game!

Discuss the first game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Pureauthor
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Pureauthor » Thu May 22, 2008 12:33 pm

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Thu May 22, 2008 9:03 pm

By some stroke of luck, (having NO idea what it was about or how good it was) I first saw EO at a three story Virgin store in Florida over summer vacation. It looked like a pretty simple, yet entertaining game, so I bought it XD

Looking back, I can remember being totally pissed off, saying things like "WTF?! you cant even see your characters?!?!", then absolutely fell in love with the game's concept and the way the areas were matched perfectly (in my opinion) with the music chosen. For whatever reason, I cant remember WHY I didn't like the fact that all you got to see was a mugshot during battle, and frankly, I think I was acting like a dumbass, (seeing as I own quite a few Dragon Quest games that don't give anything of the like) lol

These days, I actually prefer using my imagination to come up with things like the small bits of "interaction" between my guild members, which probably evolved from how I would make my own little rag-tag party of non-main characters (I <3 you Disgaea X3) and use them throughout the game.

In the case of Disgaea, Makai kingdom, etc. I would ALWAYS make a Male Fighter (along with a few other weaker, minor characters and a few main ones), then grind, reincarnate, repeat, and make him the strongest character I possibly could, making his base stats, etc. FAR exceed those of the main and even more powerful secret characters, giving a sense of accomplishment (hence, my avatar). :D

Kimiko
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kimiko » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:27 am

Hi there! *waves* I'm new here.

I just started playing Etrian Odyssey the other day. I bought it locally after waiting for months for it to turn up second-hand in the USA webshop I usually buy my games from.

My first impressions:
- Ooh cool, I finally get to play this game!
- Hmm, looks like it's going to be as old-fashioned as everyone said it is. (map grid, turns)
- Added myself as a guild member (hey, the guild guy suggested it), followed by four more members.
- My party & guild: front: Raesh (Landsknecht), Sivle (Bard), Kimiko (Survivalist) - back: Mara (Medic), Dibby (Alchemist)
- The quest system reminds me a little of Children Of Mana (although that was much simpler).
- Went into this shady forest. Felt excited to go exploring, but also wary.
- Map this red box, eh? Doesn't look too hard.
- Picked up the boot, got attacked by three(!) moles, died..
- Ouch. Okay, we need to level up first then.

I'm now getting ready (level 10 or so) to take on the FOEs on floor 2. I tried one, but almost died at level 8.
On floor 1, I found one passage that I can't get through and no way to get to the other side of it. It looks the same as the shortcut to the closest chop item point, but I had to open that from the far side.
There are also two crystals that I haven't been able to do anything with yet. Maybe the Radha will give us a key or something later?
I'm still trying to figure out the rules behind the spring. So far it seems to work (recover 10TP) if it's night && I've visited floor 2.
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

shadowknight
RPG Admin

Postby shadowknight » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:05 am

hey all. new here too

lol my first imprsions after seeing the game were " sweet a game where you create your own team and such"

first impressions playing it were "how the hell are you suppost to win half of these fights if they seem to take half you health off in 1 hit. 2 hits and i'm dead... jeez talk about a broken game"

but after i sused it out. i realised i forgot to add skills and buy other pieces of armour for my team lol

btw i live in europe and MY GOD as soon as i got it since it was released THIS YEAR theres already a 2nd one out in the USA. man you guys get over half the decent games

3 days of playing and already on the 2 sanctum
Last edited by shadowknight on Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hobbun
Killclaw

Postby Hobbun » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:25 pm

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:11 am

Okay, stupid question time.. How do I use Mine and/or Take at item points? Neither of the two item points on the first floor show anything other than Chop. I'm pretty sure it showed the other two as well the first time I stepped onto it, but I can't figure out how to get that back. I've even read the darn manual (Dutch translation, ew).
Kimiko

Akarshi
Killclaw

Postby Akarshi » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:15 am

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:31 am

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:40 am

Kimiko

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:57 pm

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

AARGH EVERYTHING IS KILLING ME WTF IT'S IN FIRST PERSON MAN I CAN'T EVEN WALK SIDEWAYS THERE IS NO QUICKSAVE oh god I love it

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:54 am

[] - [] - [] - []

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:01 am

Kimiko

lmd_84
Ragelope

Postby lmd_84 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:47 pm

Hi, I'm new. I'd be posting on somesort of 'newbies' thread...if I could find one. Without that, I figured seeing as I'm new to the game as well as the board, I thought I'd start here.

I've being playing Etrian Odyssey for about a week or so, on and off. I first heard of it months ago before it got a European release, and was intrigued by the concept. I'd seriously never played an RPG of its sort (classes, quests, customisation that sort of thing), but the concept and the gameplay excited me.

The idea of being able to spend time working on different character classes, strategies, and planning struck the perfectionist in me; I 'had' to have the game. And the fantasy fan in me was taken by the whole idea the moment I laid eyes on a few reviews.

The simple but bright graphics seem to work in how the whole game is set-up. I've had several false starts when it comes to assigning skill points and fighting FOEs (Stalkers being my current bane...), but I'm continuing onward. I get quite a thrill from entering a new level, the blank map on the bottom screen, and beginning to map out even more uncharted territory.

Okay, I'm finished fangirl-ing. :)

PS - Quick question on Immunize. How long does it last for? One turn, or more?

I would have assumed one (haven't used it much because I'm confused about how it works) but have been reading skill FAQs and am now not sure. Thanks in advance.

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:05 pm

Hi there LMD! *waves* Welcome to the forum :)

Don't worry about the Stalkers at first. They're not too hard to dodge, but you'd better leave fighting them until you've leveled up a bit because they're pretty tough like that.

Is this your first RPG ever? Well, you didn't pick one of the easier ones then I suppose. What is your guild/party like?
Kimiko

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:13 pm

Immunize lasts for a few turns, at least 3 or 4. How many, to be exact... I know not.
But I'm sure NumberMan (Scy) could tell you.

Welcome to the forums :D

53 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey”