Self-imposed challenges

Discuss the first game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Khalid
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Self-imposed challenges

Postby Khalid » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:21 am

Hello. long-time occasional lurker, first time poster here

Given the age of this game, I'd guess at least some of you attempted some self-imposed challenges, , but a more general thread for this is definitely more appropriate than hijacking that one.

My current run involves trying to beat bosses at the lowest possible level with a team that consists of three battle medics on front and any two classes on the back. I first started out as M/M/M/A/T. I did quite well until the final boss (fenrir beaten at lvl14, royalant at lvl25, and others i don't remember). When I reached the final boss, I kind of realized that the alchemist kind of outlived its usefulness, so I switched it out with a hexer. Those binds and debuffs are tasty.

Right now, I'm just trying to set up my team as best as possible for the final fight after a full party retirement.

After this, I'll probably move on to do something similar in EO2.

Anyone else did/doing something similar?
Last edited by Khalid on Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trifkin
Manticor

Re: Self-imposed challenges

Postby Trifkin » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:35 pm

I haven't done any sort of challenge like this yet, but I would loveto watch someone doing it! More power to you, I say!

Considering that I'm still about five floors away from even beating the first game, I wouldn't know where to start with something like this.

Khalid
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Khalid » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:35 pm

I was thinking of taking videos of boss fights, but I was too lazy. I'll try doing it with the final boss, since it's the only one I haven't beaten yet in this run. But first, I need to level up my party high enough to cast immunize before the boss brutally slaughters my party on the first turn.

This challenge i'm doing is pretty fun to be honest. As long as each party member can survive all/most of the boss's attacks with at least 1 HP remaining with immunize on, any boss fight is possible, provided you have the patience, luck, and strategy planned out.

My favorite boss fight in this run is royal ant. I think I took 40-50 turns to beat her. I was lucky enough to have that FOE ant that joins up during battle to call two allies (normal ant monster), leaving me with the boss, a FOE ant, and two non-FOE ants.

Chitai-Qixi
Ragelope

Postby Chitai-Qixi » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:40 am

Khalid
Ragelope

Postby Khalid » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:11 am

Khalid
Ragelope

Postby Khalid » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:45 pm

I just made a "test run" of the final boss at level 50 just to see how far i can reach and how many more level ups i need to finish the game with this party.

Turn 19, boss at <25% HP, and my party's HP and TP is almost full, full buffs, and no one's dead.

Time to restart this battle and take a video :D

Chitai-Qixi
Ragelope

Postby Chitai-Qixi » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:31 pm

That's awesome about the final boss! 50 for a challenge party sounds really good. I think on my first play-through with PRMST I beat Etreant around mid-40s. Definitely film it! :D

Khalid
Ragelope

Postby Khalid » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:52 pm

mid 40's at the final boss? doesn't that sound a little too low? :P I was in the mid 60's on my first playthrough and barely beat him. Then again, I had a LRAMS team, and never knew about how useful the protector job class and the medic's immunize were. I blame it on other RPGs for making things too easy to the point of not needing buffs/debuffs or a dedicated character as a meat shield. :/

I was going to start recording, but the camera's battery decided to kill itself when I was about to start the battle. Charging it now.

EDIT: done. got an even better run this time. 15 turns. :D Now editing the video and will upload it somewhere. Probably youtube.

EDIT 2: Done uploading.
I'm quite pleased by the quality of the video, to be honest. I could have better sounds, but I was too lazy to make things complicated (have PC record audio, then combine audio with video, blablablabla).

Chitai-Qixi
Ragelope

Postby Chitai-Qixi » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:45 am

I might be mixing it up with EOII when I was trying to beat the final boss in the 40's and then had to power level to the 50's. I remember always putting up Defender+Immunize and between the T and R in addition a lot of turns Etreant dispelled (which I'd have rather than any damage), and getting super excited because my level was so low.

Congratulations! And good video! Do you think you're going to attempt to do the dragons and other post-game bosses? Would Primeval be possible without a Protector?

Khalid
Ragelope

Postby Khalid » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:06 am

I don't think I can last long with this party against those bosses, unless maybe if I try to get my level to 70 or above, which is too much of a hassle. I'd rather start an EO2 challenge right now lol.

Ninten
Manticor

Postby Ninten » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:55 am

Sheesh, I will be happy when I actually finish EO. I'm 1000% sure I couldn't do these kind of challenges. D:

Khalid
Ragelope

Postby Khalid » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:34 am

You can do anything if you try hard enough :D

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:25 pm

: D I like your optimism, Khalid!

Khalid
Ragelope

Postby Khalid » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:09 pm

It's pretty much what etrian odyssey taught me lol.

aside from crushed hopes and dreams, that is.

EDIT: I made the same thread for EO2 here viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1533

Chitai-Qixi
Ragelope

Postby Chitai-Qixi » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:53 am

27 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey”