What pulled you in?

Discuss the first game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Emrin
Killclaw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What pulled you in?

Postby Emrin » Wed May 30, 2012 7:56 pm

This has been on my mind for some time now and I think it's time I asked about it: for YOU what was it that made you get Etrian Odyssey 1? What did you see or hear that made you want to get the game?

I personally had not heard any mention of Etrian Odyssey. The first time I saw it was at a game store and back then I was looking for a new game. Something fun with ARCHERS! I LOVED archers even back then and I didn't want to leave the game store without an archer in my possession. And then I saw EO out on the shelf. I had no idea what it was or where it had come from. The artwork on the front was super awesome to me. Especially cause I could clearly see what looked like an archer on it. So then I turned the box over and there was a whip-wielding character and I was like "Whoa! Weird but cool nonetheless." And the blonde female Protector was interesting to me, too. Now what pulled me in even more was the stuff written on the back of the box about the "9 classes", "150 skills", quests, mapping, and the word " labyrinth"! I still have my receipt from that day.

Five years later, here I am. What's your story?

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Re: What pulled you in?

Postby Wolkenritter » Wed May 30, 2012 8:55 pm

A friend recommended it to me. When I found it had a notorious difficulty and a customizable party, I was enthralled by it. I imported the game from America and needless to say, I was excited when it finally arrived.

I don't recall the exact date when I first got the game. But I do remember it was a few weeks before EO2 was announced in Japan.

Endra
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Endra » Wed May 30, 2012 10:06 pm

I saw it at a game store, but it didn't look interesting enough to buy (the German version package makes it look like another average bland RPG...) Then my mother bought it for me when it was on sale somewhere because she thought I might like it, and I did. <3

| |

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Wed May 30, 2012 11:21 pm

I saw a used copy of EOI and liked the art, but then I saw EOII and it was even cheaper and brand new, so I got that. Didn't like it at the time, (I was 13,) but when I picked it up again a year later I loved it and joined the forums here.

Now I kick myself every day for not buying EOI because I ask every time I enter a game store, and have never seen a copy again.

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

Emrin
Killclaw

Postby Emrin » Thu May 31, 2012 12:22 am

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Thu May 31, 2012 12:34 am

Yoonah
Manticor

Postby Yoonah » Thu May 31, 2012 3:19 am

I remember hearing about the difficulty from somewhere online, and it was at the time that I starting to enjoy throwing-the-console-across-the-room difficulty and the time I discovered the wonderful company known as Atlus =P
Also LOVED the artwork and concept and just fell in love with the game <33

Punching people is very romantic, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise.
MATERNITY SPIRAL

Cottontofu
Manticor

Postby Cottontofu » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:29 am

The IOSYS video dragged me in that game, I already knew Atlus for the Trauma Center series so I was like "let's give a try, besides there were good reviews".
The immersion, the artworks, the gameplay and the music kinda hooked me :D Between the EO series and I there's a long-lasting love story XD

Endra
Fenrir

Postby Endra » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:04 pm

She knows I love RPGs, so I'm not worried about getting cooking games xD And it was really cheap, like 4€ or something, otherwise she would have asked me before buying it. =)

| |

Drathi
Manticor

Postby Drathi » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:32 am

It was that FOE song that made me first hear of it. Then I saw Boltage McGammar's playthrough of it and I'm like, "Yeah, this it totally a thing."

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:22 pm

I think I found out about Etrian Odyssey through rpgamer.com. I'm not sure on that, though. I just remember finding out about it before it was released and logging onto the website very frequently up until the game was out. I read through all of the comics and director's diary and just couldn't WAIT for it. :3

Etrian Veteran
Manticor

Postby Etrian Veteran » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:42 am

I actually got EO I the most recently out of the three, funnily enough.

As for what pulled me in originally, I first found out about the series from , and after that I was hooked. I ran to pre-order III, and eventually stumbled onto ItL. I recently got both II and I earlier this year, and have been playing them on and off for a while.

As I'm sure people that frequent the help threads know, I'm really not very good at these games, but for some reason, I still love them to death.
FC: 3952-7612-1296

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:33 am

The front cover of the box on the shelf. There's also a good chance that it was the first Atlus game I got because it was an Atlus game.

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:19 am

Lostman - Don't worry about not being good at the games. You don't need to have one of those absolute best parties that are often discussed here to be able to enjoy the games. Just make a party that you like, and if the going gets too tough, stay and grind.
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

Ninten
Manticor

Postby Ninten » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:48 am

I was a fan of Wizardry back then and was told that EO plays a lot like old-school computer RPGs.

Got my own copy 2 years ago on my birthday (and my sister also has her own copy of the game), but we both "suck" at it.

I will return back to EO1, but been distracted by many games.

21 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey”