Would I be able to enjoy this game?

Discuss the first game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
13 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Re: Would I be able to enjoy this game?

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:18 am

There is no subclassing, and while some skills cap at level 10, others are lower than that - the skills aren't really that much different from the other games. Actually the problem with the skills comes in that they are not refined. Over the years the developers have fixed the bugs and mathematics. And the damn RNG that gets stuck (though I still feel this was by design).

It's hard to say if you would like it. I'm not too sure what it is about the series that you appreciate. However, EO is definitely different than the later series. It's more old school. It's "simpler". Personally, I do not like subclassing and the extra crap that they have thrown into the later games. I did not like sailing in EO3, and while the skyship is fun in EO4, I find it tedious at times.

I would NOT say that the dungeons are not as spacious - that's ridiculous. In EO3 the floor cap was reduced. In EO4 there are hardly any floors it seems. There are five floors to each stratum in this game. I'm not sure what you call "spacious" but I still find that the labyrinth in the first game is far more fun. And seriously... it's more challenging. For instance, there are no secret path markers. In other words, if you are not checking every wall, you could miss something that could make your life helluva lot easier.

The game is also less forgiving. It's been said that with each game it seems to get easier - and I agree.

There is also less "story" in the first game, but that's kind of a ridiculous statement. You are left more alone in the first game and the story isn't being constantly thrown in your face. If EOIV's story is fifty pages long, EO is 10 pages. But the quality is still there: with a story twist that makes your eyes fall out of its sockets. XD

Personally garrett, EO is my favorite. It always will be. I've played it through a number of times. I LOVE the old school nostalgic feel. I can't say if you would like it because I don't know what attracts you to the series, but I think you should definitely give it a chance.

[] - [] - [] - []

Snowdome
Killclaw

Postby Snowdome » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:16 pm

It depends on you. While the game itself is more challenging (some call it unbalancing, I call it that way since I did not use Immunize until post-game), the real challenge is to get a copy of the game besides you-know-what since there is little copies outside. One think you should note is that do not expect the graphic to look pretty, not after you have seen EO4 and especially not playing EO1 on a 3DSXL. You should also note that since it is the first game in the series (and the first game of this type I have ever played), it left me with a very deep impression. Asking players like me may misguide you and leave you with an expectation that the game cannot give to experienced players. Nevertheless, music is the best in the series imo except it is a bit short.

If you are interested in EO2, I would suggest playing EO1 first, as you can get the password with your Guild's name with an extra item, and the system is basically the same (except skill balance).

EO1 has 6 stratum of 5 floors each, but since you have played EO3 first, you should probably know that. Mapping experience is quite different - the map is less complicated, you may even call it boring in some case (a long straight line, for example), while in many other case less forgiving. As Maxine said, there is no arrows to mark shortcuts (we used to use lines for that, so arrows in EO2 were a godsend for us XD). Moreover, there is far more one-way shortcut in EO1 than in EO4; you can only use one color to map the floor; and there is only one icon for all three types of harvesting points (I used memos to mark them). No auto-pilot also mean that no auto-grinding.

P.S. Where to you get the conclusion that EO1 is less spacious than any of the series?

Either I got used to it, or subclassing in EO4 is improved. When it was first introduced in EO3, I did not like it a bit and in most cases, I used it as a 5-SP bonus for the main class only.
Untold classic mode not yet completed. Untold 2 story mode still in 5th stratum. And now EO5 is coming...

Switch FC: SW-1343-6564-9223
Iris @ Pokemon X [Bug #314 #46 #49]
3DS FC: 0688-5760-3487 (There is a FC thread in case anyone didn't notice)

Check for Guild Card Generator <Compatible with EO4, EOU, EOU2 & EDM; Last updated November 8, 2015>
Click for a complete list of EO4 QR codes (quest sorted by suggested level!) and more
<Last updated March 10, 2014>
*For the best QR experience, view the folders in list mode.

Aeiren
Bloodant
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Aeiren » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:27 pm

Not to scare you, but Etrian Odyssey was kind of a classic dungeon crawler. Make a party of 5, grind levels, kill random monsters, fight the dungeon boss, earn better gear and live to brag about it.

EO was unique by utilizing the DS to map your dungeon progress. Add in FOEs and unexpected/unprepared battles, it became kind of a cult favourite.

Through the sequels, you get to appreciate the developer's work in improving the core game and making it more exciting. Each sequel they had made was a refreshing look to the original game.

If you have played the series in order, you would realize the game feeling easier. Thanks to the improvements they added and the fact that you are now more prepared to overcome every challenge the game throws at you.

In EO, you were recommended to start with the core/typical 5 classes. It's the same now in EO4, but I just reached lvl 53 and finally getting subclass unlocked without a Medic and a Runemaster since I started at level 1. All these because the earlier series already taught me what to expect and prepare for. With stuff like infinite Medica for cheap 20en, easy access to Small Flower to make Nectar, EN obtainable easily, EXP boosts - the game is sure easy for us who masochistically struggled in EO just to fight a random battle blue winged insect in floor B2.

tl;dr - You will enjoy EO if you seek pleasure in downgrading all the improvements in the sequels and test your wits in the core game that started the series.

In addition, Shin EO seems to be remake with a story driven perspective. This is compared to EO which focuses on exploration and challenging the unexpected as you crawl through the dungeon.

Snowdome
Killclaw

Postby Snowdome » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:41 pm

Untold classic mode not yet completed. Untold 2 story mode still in 5th stratum. And now EO5 is coming...

Switch FC: SW-1343-6564-9223
Iris @ Pokemon X [Bug #314 #46 #49]
3DS FC: 0688-5760-3487 (There is a FC thread in case anyone didn't notice)

Check for Guild Card Generator <Compatible with EO4, EOU, EOU2 & EDM; Last updated November 8, 2015>
Click for a complete list of EO4 QR codes (quest sorted by suggested level!) and more
<Last updated March 10, 2014>
*For the best QR experience, view the folders in list mode.

Aeiren
Bloodant

Postby Aeiren » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:07 pm

^ I remembered them as blue. Could be purple, I guess... But yea, THAT on floor B1. That's why this is EO we are talking about.

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:54 pm

The first three EO games aren't obscure anymore. They've been reprinted and should now be plentiful at wherever you buy your games.

Also, yes, you should play EO1 and EO2.
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:30 pm

Seriously, purchase the first game and see how you like it garrett. To me it's still the best in the series. And while there is no subclassing (this is one of the things that deterred me from EO3 but EO4 seems to be more interesting somehow) the skills are far more interesting with the characters and there are still many ways to make them unique.

First playthrough I used a Landsknecht and focused on axes. He was KEWL. Second playthrough I used Swords and he was AWESOME!! It's also a STRICT Level 70 cap. No way to increase. So it's even more important to choose your skills wisely - and resting reset you back 10 F-ING LEVELS! ... So you really needed to plan your characters out.

[] - [] - [] - []

Ninten
Manticor

Postby Ninten » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:21 am

I say if you have patience and feel really dedicated, then go for it. It's one of the most rewarding RPGs in the last few years.

Still feel awful that I let EO1 sit on my shelves for this long, but I finally finished it this february.

Guess I should get the other games too? Although, can't wait for EO4 to come out in Europe this summer!

Aeiren
Bloodant

Postby Aeiren » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:15 am

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:22 pm

Anime STL will be there another time.
Kimiko

Etrian Veteran
Manticor

Postby Etrian Veteran » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:19 pm

FC: 3952-7612-1296

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:57 pm

[] - [] - [] - []

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Play Etrian Odyssey with your girlfriend :)
Kimiko

13 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Etrian Odyssey”