Is this your favorite EO game? If not, which one is?

Discuss the first game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Which EO game is your favorite in the series?

Etrian Odyssey
17%
Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard
25%
Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City
13%
Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
42%
Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl
4%

Total votes: 24

noodles
ItL Moderator

Re: Is this your favorite EO game? If not, which one is?

Postby noodles » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:47 pm

Wow. Sad story indeed...I'm assuming you missed the text during the first FOE encounter telling you to avoid tough enemies. I've heard a lot of similar stories with Dark Souls and FF12

Tortuga774
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Tortuga774 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:15 pm

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:10 am

oh. that too. you basically had to manually check every square of every wall to find a lot of the things in that game

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:14 am

-_- I miss that. The act of feeling like I was really discovering something

[] - [] - [] - []

isometric
Killclaw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby isometric » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:49 pm

Walking sideways was a nice touch in the later games, though. Made poking every wall in sight quite a bit easier!

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:22 pm

III hands down. It perfected everything from I and II and took it a step further with it's subclassing and seafaring. Plus it easily has the best OST in the series (though no 6th Stratum battle theme? for shame Koshiro!).

IV is likely my least favorite, as while I liked the fact that the hot air balloon traveling took quite a bit from III and vastly improved it (EOIIIU, take some notes here!), the OST wasn't quite as good as the rest, the plot was felt rather watered down in comparison and the loads of NPCs were just plain annoying (it just didn't feel at home with the rest). Not to mention I could solo the game rather easily. The challenge just wasn't there.

If we're talking improvements with gameplay mechanics, EOIIU for sure. Everything before EOIU just feels like it's playing in slow motion.

Curry-Kohai
Manticor

Postby Curry-Kohai » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:26 am

I'll keep my post brief since it's been forever since I've actually played an EO game. But the first game. I got into the series because it really felt like an old school first person dungeon crawler, like Wizardry or Bard's Tale. It'S that quality I feel is missing more and more with each successive game.

Don't get me wrong, the other entries in the main series are tons of fun, and far more competently programmed, it gained it's own identity in the end, which I think I subconsciously resent, but I can't really say for sure.

On that note, Untold was my least favorite, precisely because it abandoned the original feeling and atmosphere from the first game in lieu of anime plot and character dialogue.

(Edit: wow that wasn't brief at all.)

*Important note: Not actually a Senpai.

heprea
Diabolix

Postby heprea » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:04 pm

Mole-chan I....

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:23 am

This is a game I can't really stand coming back to, but it's one that gave me a fantastic experience and a lot of memories. I stayed up many nights in high school mapping floors under my bedsheets

WillowWolf
Bloodant

Postby WillowWolf » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:11 am

EOII has my heart for being the first one I picked up (rather, my husband bought for me because puppy dog eyes have been mastered xD) and got hooked on. It's my forever game, though, as I haven't beaten it. Could probably do the first two strata with my eyes closed, however. I put it down and pick it back up like "huh... well, can't remember what I was doing so START OVER." Love it to bits still.

Makes me sad that not so many people like EOIV that much ;^;. I loved that one a ton. It's actually the first EO I've beaten. Followed by EOU. I wasn't the biggest fan of EOU, but eh. I got a kick out of it, sometimes at least. Still haven't beaten EOUII... just doesn't get me like EOII/IV did.

I loved the overworlds in IV and the separated dungeons/side dungeons. Not to mention the overworld FOEs and the gathering points and all that... Whoooooooooo boy, the first time I saw I 'bout pooped myself. II did that after I learned what FOE really meant (basically DED) and I got almost cornered a couple times.

III I like a lot, and the classes that are exclusive to that one I wish'd make an appearance in the next game. I.e. prince/ss, monk, beast master, ninja. I know they essentially have an equal class in IV, but I liked their gimmicks, for the most part.

In any case, I think EOIV is my favorite, very closely followed by II and III. The Untolds are easily the lowest on my list. And I honestly haven't put much time at all into the first one. Maybe the first couple floors, but I got that one a little too soon before IV came out and I never got back around to it.

25 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey”