Discouraging moments?

Discuss the first game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:29 am

Sir - one of the key things to remember with this game, no matter what happens:

YOU CAN NEVER SCREW UP YOUR PARTY.

You might have a tougher time, but you just have to figure out the combination that works best for you. The game is very big on allowing you to play in whatever manner you chose. ^_^

Naw, provoke was a pretty pathetic attack - like I said, focus on the Guards. Those are the best.

[] - [] - [] - []

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:36 am

Provoke isn't that effective for EO1 (and even then, it isn't going to be effective at that few points). You're honestly better off with Defender for group-wide protection and F. Guard for front row stuff, though honestly Immunize + Defender is enough overall mitigation that it doesn't matter to get the guards.

[spoiler]Immunize and Defender aren't that overpowered alone; the problem stems from that the fact that Defense acts on damage AFTER they're both applied and merely subtract damage as opposed to reduce it by some percentage.

-30 Damage due to Defense after Immunize/Defender knocks away ~90% Damage means the base hit has to be 300 for it to even do above 1 damage.[/spoiler]

As for Fenrir, if I recall, he's immune to Ice so ... not going to get much out of an Ice Alchemist on him.

Rain
Hunter

Postby Rain » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:39 am

Sir Reginald Bathwater
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Sir Reginald Bathwater » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:46 am

Shiela
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Shiela » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:55 am

Right now I'm at the 'beat all the other fuckers and you get to get a good wack at the parrot place' a.k.a b20f. Tearing my hair out over it :/

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:19 am

Good luck, Shiela. That floor is so FUGGIN' annoying. >_> Just... don't do what I did... make sure to find the short cut on Floor 19 that makes it easier to go back and forth to the spring.

[] - [] - [] - []

Shiela
Ragelope

Postby Shiela » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:55 am

I did, but I was stupid and got gangraped by several F.O.E's, so I got game over, frigging annoying -.-
First I beat two F.O.E's seperately and then the whole F.O.E crew cornered me and then said gangraping happened :/

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:11 am

Just to reiterate (again), Immunize is NOT broken by itself. If you were to take that skill and put it right into EO2*, it wouldn't break the game at all. The problem with Immunize is how DEFENSE ITSELF functions. It is a straight -Damage calculation that is done after Damage Mitigation% reductions are applied.

[spoiler]Note: War Magus Force Skill reproduces Immunize in EO2; F. Guard is also a 60% Damage Reduction for the front row in EO2 (40% in EO1).[/spoiler]

That is, here's an example with -20 Damage thanks to Defense and 60% Damage Mitigation (Immunize 10) [Math T.T]:
[spoiler]
50 Base Damage:
[50 * (1-.6)] - 20 = [20] - 20 = 0 (100% net Mitigation)

100 Base Damage:
[100 * (.4)] - 20 = [40] - 20 = 20 (80% net Mitigation)

200 Base Damage:
[200 * (.4)] - 20 = [80] - 20 = 60 (70% net Mitigation)

500 Base Damage:
[500 * (.4)] - 20 = [200] - 20 = 180 (64% net Mitigation)

As Defense rises (and the Damage Mitigation% rises), the Base Damage taken grows greater than the Defense raise (that is, -1 Damage is equal to +2.5 Damage taken with just Immunize running.)** Notably, -Damage after the Damage Mitigation allows for 0 Damage to be achievable; if you add Defender (36%), Defense is capable of reducing the damage to 0 to an even larger spread of numbers (25.6% damage taken).

I forget if EO1 had 1 Defense = -1 Damage taken but, going off of that, you can reach -50 or so Damage taken by end-game fairly easily, meaning Immunize + Defender can reduce a base hit of 200 to 0 and a 500 hit is still sub-100 damage taken. EO2 solves this by having Defense just work as another Damage Mitigation% instead.

Immunize by itself isn't that big of a deal (and really, you can get BETTER mitigation in EO2 if you try with Mists, Shelter/Sapping, and F.Guard) but it in conjunction with straight -Damage, the effect of Immunize is just that much more profound.

**Here's a formula to help compare it:
2.5X = Y where X is Damage Reduction and Y is the base damage before Immunize is applied.

X = 40
Y = (2.5) * 40 = 100

That is, if you have -40 Damage, you'll mitigate a 100 Damage hit with just Immunize to 0.

With Immunize AND Defender, the formula changes to:
3.90625X = Y

X = 40
Y = (3.90625) * 40 = 156.25

That is, if you have -40 Damage, you'll mitigate a 156 Damage hit with just Immunize to 0.[/spoiler]

That Math is what happens when I'm bored :(

Shiela
Ragelope

Postby Shiela » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:01 pm

I had to Warp Wired back to for a bit after killing some F.O.E's.
And when I came back, the ones I had killed did not respawn ._.
I was waiting for a downer because I had to go back to town and I got none.... ._.

69 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey”