Wow, moral dilemma... I wonder if you actually have a choice

Discuss the first game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
14 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
Pyrosmurfy
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Wow, moral dilemma... I wonder if you actually have a choice

Postby Pyrosmurfy » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:16 am

SPOILERS FOR 4th STRATUM

[spoiler]
The Chieftain gives the new mission, which is to annihilate the Forest Folk. Annihilate. He wants every last one dead. Uhm, so the official Etrian policy on other races, based on one negative encounter, is... genocide?

Objection? (doh, this ain't Phoenix Wright, is it?)

I think I'm gonna try and continue forward without accepting the mission and see how far that takes me. I bet the game will essentially force me to accept it to progress the story, but may as well try. I may be a maniac, but a genocidal maniac may be where my guild draws the line...
[/spoiler]

Edited by Kino

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:30 am

haha, yeah, I felt the same way and tried the same thing that you did.

Do you want the answer?
[spoiler]It forces you to take it[/spoiler]

[] - [] - [] - []

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:44 pm

Me too. [spoiler]There should've been an option to save the Forest Folk[/spoiler]
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

Pyrosmurfy
Ragelope

Postby Pyrosmurfy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:27 am

[spoiler]
I'm not going to read the spoilers, but I did get stuck as it wouldn't let me have the tablet to access the stairs on B16F until I accepted the evil mission. So I did it, and I'm hoping there's a way to talk my way out of it (doubtful).

But what really confused me is when I met the Forest Folk girl again, she told me about the ancient pact, and then I reported it to the Etrian authorities. The Chieftain said I should still complete the mission and kill them all, but then after I left, he had this little monologue about how MY GUILD would have to be dealt with because we're going too far and we're figuring out too much.

Now, if his goal was to prevent us from truly unraveling the mysteries of the Labyrinth, why wouldn't he just tell us to honor the ancient pact with the Forest Folk and stop exploring further into lower floors? From the game's own story arc, my guild is feeling uncomfortable with the annihilation mission, so telling us to stop would indeed get us to stop. The Chieftain wouldn't have to worry about us figuring out any more, and everyone would be happy.
[/spoiler]

Or am I missing something?

edited by Kino

Vapour Trail
Manticor

Postby Vapour Trail » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:51 am

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:39 pm

DELETED

Postby DELETED » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:51 pm

DELETED

Vapour Trail
Manticor

Postby Vapour Trail » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:15 am

negzee
ItL's resident princess

Postby negzee » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:46 pm

[spoiler]
So, there I was, standing in Radha Hall, being told, basically, to commit genocide. I've been to this forum before and I figured I'd post something about this dilemma to the discouraging moments thread, but then I saw this thread started by Pyrosmurfy, expressing the same concern I have.

My guild, too, would have to draw the line there... but there was no way to continue the game without accepting the mission. If only the game gave me some sort choice, or an alternative path through the story! But no, the tablet was the only way, so I (very reluctantly) put down the game. Real life or a video game, I could not accept the mission.

... Today, a couple days later, I felt a piece of me quietly die as the "mission accepted" sound plays on my DS. I caved. The curiosity was too strong. "Just a game... just a game...." I have not read any of the spoiler-containing replies in this thread, but I'm desperately hoping the game provides a chance of avoiding the chieftain's desired resolution.

A general question: since the mission must be accepted to continue past B17, I assume most people here have gone through this little issue. For those of you who did pause, how long did you pause for, and did you consider dropping the game entirely on moral grounds? I suppose I ask this question both from the perspective of you the player, and from the perspective of your characters (which may or may not overlap.)

(Btw, this new registrant at the Golden Deer Pub says a quick introductory hi.)
[/spoiler]

edited by Kino

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:49 pm

Please keep in mind we have spoiler tags for a reason, and use them. Thank you.

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:59 pm

Hi Negzee! Welcome to the ItL forum! :)

[spoiler]Yes, I wanted to avoid the genocide too, and turned down the request at first. When it turned out you have to take it to proceed, I reluctantly accepted it. It's still a sore point though.[/spoiler]
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:12 pm

Vedruk
Ragelope

Postby Vedruk » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:07 pm

[spoiler]It almost seems as though the game takes the view that the morally ambiguous situation is not in deciding whether or not they should be killed, but how. You know, 'the only good bug is a dead bug' point of view. Shame, really, as the forest people seemed so very interesting. Ah, well, such is our Etrian life and times, I suppose.[/spoiler]

X-grunger
Ragelope

Postby X-grunger » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:59 am

hehe

[spoiler]my guild fights for honor and justice, and that evil forest folks have killed many innocent adventurers.....so withouth thinking twice i have accepted that quest......[/spoiler]
Terry LVL 31 Landsknecht Max Lvl 31 Protector
Liquid Lvl 28 SurvivalistNay lvl 28 Medic Glass lvl 28 Alchemist (fire/poison)

14 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Etrian Odyssey”