Somethin' ain't right about the scenery...

Discuss the first game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

negzee
ItL's resident princess

Somethin' ain't right about the scenery...

Postby negzee » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:06 am

Haven't touched the game in quite a while, but it just occurred to me again (as it did when I originally reached that place the topic title refers to)....

(5th Stratum)
[spoiler]Why is there a bright sky down there?

Actually, now that think about it, other strata sorta had skies and were generally bright, too... and there were skies between floors within strata, so I wonder... those stairs must be a fuggin' bitch to negotiate.[/spoiler]

Kimiko
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kimiko » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:52 pm

Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

negzee
ItL's resident princess

Postby negzee » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:26 pm

Kimiko
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kimiko » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:11 pm

ALSA as in Advanced Linux Sound Architecture?
Kimiko

negzee
ItL's resident princess

Postby negzee » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:19 am

*DOZO HAVE A BROWNIE*

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:13 am

*nom nom nom* Umai! :D
Kimiko

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:40 pm

[] - [] - [] - []

Kitsune
Ragelope

Re: Somethin' ain't right about the scenery...

Postby Kitsune » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:25 am

~ Kitsune

Sampson
Literary Voyeur

Postby Sampson » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:11 am

negzee
ItL's resident princess

Postby negzee » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:44 am

@Kitsune: While we're all being picky, here, it depends on your definition of plant. :D

@Sampson: [s]Kupala's so adorable. She can kick my ass any day.[/s] Yeah those darned territorial forest folk, I tell ya....

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:12 am

Kamitsune
Ragelope

Postby Kamitsune » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:52 pm

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:37 pm

Yes, but the people of Etria had no idea they were on a tree. The world around them looked normal. The branches of the tree were thick enough to support Etria and all of the land around it; that would mean that, as you look up in another stratum, above you would be thick dirty canopy.

I mean, did it ever look like you were WALKING on branches? Not really.

theo
Bloodant

Postby theo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:06 pm

Here's a theory, although it's lacking:

Perhaps most of the stairs are actually warps in disguise. Each strata is on it's own branch of Yggdrasil and these branches are beyond the edges of the "top-side" world.

The downside is that the stairs line up on the maps when paging through floors, giving the impression that the maps truly are in a single stack. Stairs-as-warps wouldn't have to be this way.

The more I articulate this theory, the more it's falling out of my favor, though. Well, now that I've written it, I'll let it stand.

I'm casting my vote for bio-luminescence of Yggdrasil itself. The circadian rhythm that corresponds with the top-side world can be explained because the top of Yggdrasil is exposed in Etria. Yggdrasil receives sunlight and mimics it further below in a symbiotic relationship with the inhabitants. That raises the question of what the inhabitants and critters do for the World Tree, though.

Also, I could swear it gets darker in lower strata, but it's been a long time since I've been in Etria. I'll check it out tonight if I remember.

negzee
ItL's resident princess

Postby negzee » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:25 pm

Stratum 5 has what appears to be a blue sky. :)

I must admit, though, to never having ventured into stratum 6 for post-game fun. I know. Shame on me.

24 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey”