Getting EOII soon, so this is a planning thread...

Discuss the second game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Drathi
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Getting EOII soon, so this is a planning thread...

Postby Drathi » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:34 am

Well, because I have the Password from the last game, I feel compelled to maintain continuity with my party as well. So, here is my main party from the last game(including the names of them as well, because I've become quite attached t this team):

Riese the Landsknecht
Chane the Protector
Palme the Survivalist
Medica the... Medic (surprise, surprise!)
Kanarine the Troubadour

The party had its flaws--namely the problems against enemies like Armrolls in the last game (Main reason I do not want to play through it again, for a long time)-- but it worked out nicely. Now, I know Immunize and Defender (I'll have to check about defender) were removed in the second game, so I know I will definately need some modifications. However, as I said, I want to maintain continuity somewhat. XD So, I plan on keeping my Landsknecht definately.

So, any suggestions? Should I stick with that party, assuming the basic functions still work, minus Immunize/Defender, or should I go with an entirely new party? The Gunner's abilities do look nifty...

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:39 am

From the bare knowledge I know of reading, I'm pretty sure that the T and L will be a good combination because of the chasing skills, but I've never played it myself. ^_^

I hope you enjoy the game. It's not as good as the first but there are definitely things that are SO much better.

[] - [] - [] - []

Drathi
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Drathi » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:48 am

That is a good point. Those attacks came in handy in the first game, because of those darned physcal resistant enemies. I may also have to check if Allslash is still in the game, because I know the Gunner has a similar attack.

I had a feeling that EOII continued the curse of the sequel... EOI gives you no sense of direction or hope. XD You go down o the depths of hell and back. EOII: You go up! HOPE! Etrian Odyssey is supposed to be balls hard! there can't be any feeling of hope!

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:00 am

Yes, that was one of the things I myself did not like about the second game. The first game gave a feeling of "just what the fuck am I doing, anyways?" while the second gave you a sense of some kind of destination. The game has a far more peaceful sense about it.

HOWEVER, this is replaced quickly by the fact that while it is peaceful it is far more... forbidden in feeling. While there is a "goal" everything seems to shout at you that you are just not meant to reach it.

[] - [] - [] - []

Drathi
Manticor

Postby Drathi » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:03 am

Unlike EOI that does it sorta... then at the VERY END they REALLY tell you that you aren't wanted...

So, EOII is more hopeful? Oh boy... xD Now, I'm going to end up feeling bad for my Landsknecht... In the little fanfiction in my head, the whole fifth straum really scarred him. XD But I suppose this is not the place for that discussion.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:07 am

:3 Poor Riese... lured into a false sense of security... admiring the beauty and the surroundings thinking how much kinder this is going to be.... and then..... the thing in the middle that will betray all his hopes.

I think you are going to definitely enjoy the game, don't doubt it.

[] - [] - [] - []

Drathi
Manticor

Postby Drathi » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:17 am

Riese was the only male guild member too, so having . He also was a baby at times...
[spoiler]while he was in the third stratum, when I met the forest girl, and read the narration of us continuing our investigation despite her warning, I imagined Riese saying, "Okay, she obviously does not want us here! We foun the forest girl, let's go!" only to be dragged through the rest of the stratum by Medica... [/spoiler]

Riese's predicted answer to Etria's Labrynth: A legendary sword. That's ALWAYS THE ANSWER.

xD I think I will love it until this nonsense happens: BLINDSIDED! WHOLE PARTY ASLEEP! WHOLE PARTY WITH LEGS/HEAD BOUND! DIE!DIE!DIE!DIE!DIE! GAME OVER! ...save map data? I never lost my temper with EOI until that happened to me.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:48 am

.... I lost my temper so many times with the games that I can't even remember my first time. It was probably one of the many "no warp wire while staring down a FOE that has me trapped" moments.

BTW, you ever get through the sixth stratum?

[] - [] - [] - []

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:00 pm

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:01 pm

[] - [] - [] - []

Drathi
Manticor

Postby Drathi » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:20 pm

Yeah, I've always carried 3. XD I also had too many Hamaos and Somas... XD I really do hope I don't have to repeat what I did in the 4th stratum.

negzee
ItL's resident princess

Postby negzee » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:32 pm

Always 3 for me. Goddamn pilfering r*dents.

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:17 pm

For the record, Immunize is still in the game (War Magus Force Skill) and F.Guard is superior to what Defender did in the first game (actually, it's pretty much a front-row Immunize). The AC function change is more significant than losing Immunize; since AC doesn't remove a flat amount of damage after damage reduction anymore, these skills aren't "as effective" as they were in EO1. AC as a flat -damage is what made Immunize ridiculous, not Immunize itself being ridiculous.

...anyway, the group will work but it's pretty lacking in an offensive compared to what you may remember from the first game. If you want to keep the core of the group consistent, I'd probably just say changing the Troubadour to a Hexer. The debuffs are functionally equivalent to the buffs and Dampen is just that much better than the Elemental songs at dealing with physical resistant/immune enemies. Torpor also helps shut down pretty much every random encounter. I'd avoid Revenge if you want to keep anything resembling a challenge left in the game, though.

And, just to be complete, obligatory "War Magus over Medic" time. The WM heals faster due to being able to equip swords and has a higher chance of survival (beats Landsknechts out, actually, for VIT growth). You lose revive but gain Warmight which is a huge single-target damage boost. Plus, WM Cuts deal typeless damage so they ignore resistances anyway. If you get a Hexer, WM + Hexer lets you use Cursecut and heal the WMs TP as well; they can then Transfer it to others which effectively gives you infinite TP, though not as easy as EO1's Relaxing.

These two changes give you a PLW / SH group which is just overall a bit more "efficient" and covers the existing problems with the group better. Landsknecht chasers are nice, yes, but you need a good amount (3, ideally) elemental sources for it to be really good.

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Re: Getting EOII soon, so this is a planning thread...

Postby Wolkenritter » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:50 am

Emrin
Killclaw

Postby Emrin » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:57 pm

27 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard”