A newcommer to the series

Discuss the second game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

SacredCaedeus
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

A newcommer to the series

Postby SacredCaedeus » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:49 pm

Hello everyone!

After a little reading of this forum, I decided that I would join it so that I could get better informed of the series and also of this specific title. Since I couldn't find a copy of the first game locally and I'm not sure if I want the third title, I decided on the second. With that said, I have some (of the usual) newbie questions. However, I also have rather direct questions about certain things.

As a note, I am no stranger to usual RPGs. I am new to the series though, so I kindly ask if you'd bear with me if I make a stupid assumption about a class, skill, etc. ^^; I'm trying not to let my general knowledge of RPGs leak into this too much.

[Party]
Yes, THIS question. The question EVERYONE asks. What sort of party do you recommend for EO2? I'm not looking for a party that does it all or an uber game stomper party. Just one that can get me through the game with minimal issues. At the moment, my current party is thus:

Shion - Protector
Hayami - Ronin
Lydia - Dark Hunter
Mieno - Gunner
Leora - Medic

Are there any changes that would be advised? Should I swap someone out for a different class? The more I think about it, the more I believe that I may be too focused on physical and not have much or any magical damage. Suggestions would be appreciated. ^^;

[Money]
I know the only ways to make money in this game is to either complete quests or sell drops from monsters. I know the basic premise of farming items for money. My main concern is money saving. When it comes down to money in games, I like to try to save as much as I can so I can better equip my party. So the question for this one is, are there any small or big ways to conserve money? A friend informed me that I should use a Medic to conserve money on reviving party member, because apparently revival via the in-town healer gets pretty steep in price. Or at least so I was informed. Any other information would help. ^^

[Skills]
I'm not going to ask for a cookie cutter build for my party or any suggested party. No, I rather not be handed such a thing for this game. My main question with skills is the extent of their effects. Like... the skill Shields for Protectors. It says it raises Defense. Quite straightforward in my opinion. However when I was experimenting in the beginning to see the effect, I saw none at all. The Defense value remained unchanged.

While I can appreciate how the game doesn't throw a bunch of numbers and formulas at you, I find it very bothersome. Friends taught me how to min-max, and that min-maxer in me more or less demands formulas from the game so I can decide what I want how soon.

Now, please don't take that last sentence the wrong way. I don't mean to imply that I'm also demanding formulas from any of you; that would be rude and quite possibly unreasonable. I would much rather ask politely for that information, which I will! Could anyone at all please provide any insight into these skills so I can better decide what I want of my party? Seeing the numbers and how they factor in helps me make a decision much better than text with a very basic description. Any and all help will be very appreciated.

[General Tips]
Basically, I'd like to ask for any helpful suggestions that doesn't fall under any of the above. I've already been told to keep at least three Warp Wires (a work in progress for me at the moment) on me, never help the squirrels, and watch for the FOEs. Any additional tips would be appreciated.

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:01 pm

Ooh, this is my favorite game. Uhh, for party, that one is fine, however a war magi is better than a medic, but you have to carry a few nectars around. The medic's healing is overkill and they dont attack very hard or fast. And protectors aren't all tha great in my opinion until post game stuff. A warrior or another ronin would work better. And dark hunter is the ultimate class in my opinion. And lastly, quests in EOII are retarded. No exp, money is rare, and the items you get are crap. This being said, i left most of the quests until after i beat the game and HOLY SHIT theyre a pain to do in a row. Good luck!

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:17 pm

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:43 pm

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

SacredCaedeus
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SacredCaedeus » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:59 pm

Last edited by SacredCaedeus on Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:13 pm

-PLA

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:39 pm

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:39 pm

-PLA

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:48 pm

INCyr
Ragelope

Postby INCyr » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:19 am

SacredCaedeus
Ragelope

Postby SacredCaedeus » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:07 am

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:38 am

Umm firstly sleeping replenishes all hp and tp. you don't get tp items until 3rd stratum, and this is the only way to do so until then.

And about it being "more cost efficient in the long run" to have a medic, the only real problem with money you have goes away after stratum 2 when enemies drop stuff that sells for decent amounts.

That being said, my first playthrough of EOII I had a medic in my party.. BUT I have since discovered the joys of war magi~ :)

-PLA

SacredCaedeus
Ragelope

Postby SacredCaedeus » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:43 am

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:46 am

-PLA

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:13 am

18 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard”