Beat the end boss! Too easy though...? (Spoilers, obviously)

Discuss the second game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
13 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
Phage
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Beat the end boss! Too easy though...? (Spoilers, obviously)

Postby Phage » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:29 pm

So last night I decided to check out the Overlord and see how powerful he was. Grabbed my best items out of storage, built up my force, and started pounding on him, just to see how strong he was and note how quickly I would die. Buuuuuuut then I beat him. On my first attempt. Either the Overlord is super weak to Terror, or I got really lucky, because my Hexer was able to use Suicide on him for like 6 turns. And the Overlord dealt himself like 500 or 600ish damage every time. I think it only took like 10 or so turns to defeat him, maybe less.

(My party is Dark Hunter/Survivalist/Hexer/Medic/Alchemist by the way, and lv67 after retiring once each. I didn't think my party was very strong, so I'm surprised it was so easy.)

So I was wondering, did I just get really lucky, or is the Overlord just not that hard? How did you guys fare with him?

Also, what do you guys think of the Overlord himself, and the story? I'm not sure what to make of it. Why exactly was the Overlord so obsessed with "eternal life," anyway? Who was the disembodied voice heard in the castle? I feel like it might have been the woman that the Overlord mentioned in monologue, but I don't know. And uh... how is the Grail supposed to help the Duke if the Overlord used it to TURN PEOPLE INTO MONSTERS?!

(Oh and I just started the postgame stuff, so if anything more gets revealed about him later, just say so and don't tell me what it is. ;P)

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:03 pm

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:06 pm

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:14 pm

...the title says spoilers. About the end boss. Shouldn't need them in the topic itself with that kind of warning >>

And, personally, the post-game isn't that hard. [hide]Ur-Child[/hide] is highly pattern based and the Dragons are all pushovers for the most part anyway.

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:19 pm

Does it? Derp.

Also you're a freak of nature when it comes to games... If you don't go into the post-game bosses with the right equiptment/party setup you die really fast. I didn't use a guide or anything to tell me what shit to put on.

Although a protector would make a world of difference.

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:28 pm

I figured out the [hide]Ur-Child[/hide] rotation after people were having issues with it >> But my party (RDW/GH) made the fight pretty trivial and a burst fest with the whole "Dominate is up just win already" mentality.

Hell, my first [hide]Ur-Child[/hide] kill was done at night when it's completely unpredictable >> That was ... unpleasant, to say the least.

Edit: To me, figuring out an encounter is basic expected difficulty; anything less (i.e., just go in and win) is easy.

Phage
Ragelope

Postby Phage » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:44 pm

Oh wow. After all the challenges in this game, it's feels like kind of a letdown for the final boss to be THAT weak. Especially with the ironic weakness to terror. I mean, he's been spawning huge freaky looking monsters for probably centuries and he's afraid of ME? XD

Yeah, I didn't think very hard when I built my party so I have a major weakness as far as defense goes. But I did a fair amount of grinding in each stratum, so I was usually overleveled enough that bosses weren't too much of a problem. I'm basically hoping now that the stat and skill point boost from retiring will be enough that the [hide]hidden bosses[/hide] won't be too painful. Plus I have the [hide]Ygg Staff[/hide] and most of my party has their [hide]special class-specific 200,000en armor[/hide] equipped so... Maybe it won't be too bad?

I haven't looked up anything about the [hide]postgame bosses[/hide] yet. What's with [hide]Ur-Child[/hide]?

EDIT: (@Scy) Yeah, that's basically me too. If the boss doesn't kill me at least once, or at least almost kill me, it isn't a challenge.

HECK, the Beamedges are more annoying than the Overlord. I always end up killing them with Climax cuz they don't like to die. <<

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:01 pm

...what's so special about the Ygg Staff? It's 210 wATK with no stats and a slight speed penalty. It's neither the best Combat Medic (King's Staff) or Healer (arguably, Polar Rod for the Speed Bonus) Staff to use...

On [hide]Ur-Child[/hide]
[spoiler]He's the Floor 30 boss (i.e., the final final boss~) and does rather hefty damage every turn (barring two "Rest" turns in his rotation). He follows a set rotation, however, so it's ultimately a fairly easy fight when you know what damage comes every turn. With a Protector, you even have three turns in a row where he heals you due to the Anti's absorbing damage.

At night, however, Ur-Child is completely random. Well, weighted random but random none-the-less. Included in that are three (well, four) ridiculous attacks:

Begone, an all-target non-elemental ~10,000 damage attack.
Wilddance, an all-target chance to inflict Instant Death, Petrify, Paralysis, Confusion, Poison, or Curse.
Heatskin, a counter stance that reflects something like ~500% or more of the damage dealt back. I've seen up to 20,000+ damage reflected.
Solitude, an all-target Stab attack that deals moderate-to-heavy damage to everyone; damage is based on the amount of people alive, however, so having 3 or less people makes the damage trivial. With a full group, it should do around 500-ish post mitigation.

He has a 20% chance of Begone or Wildance occurring and I believe a 10% chance on Heatskin or Solitude ... so, basically, every other turn is a chance of you dying.[/spoiler]

Phage
Ragelope

Postby Phage » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:09 pm

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:13 pm

Phage
Ragelope

Postby Phage » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:41 pm

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:47 pm

Phage
Ragelope

Postby Phage » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:40 am

Ah. Well that makes sense then.

13 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard”