Playing EO2 on a DS for the First Time

Discuss the second game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Dangerus
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Playing EO2 on a DS for the First Time

Postby Dangerus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:53 am

One of WingedMedic's friends decided to give his old EO games to him. Since he knew I was dying to play as a party with a Hexer class, he gave me the first two so I can try them out. It was a bit laggy (It freezes at random times in the Labyrinth!), but otherwise, I was fine.

So, so far, my party is at Level 5 and broke.

Party in Question:

Roxanne - Dark Hunter
I always liked Dark Hunters. Bare with me on this one...
Named After: the song by Police

Ripto - Survivalist
Tend to like arrows more than guns. That and he can farm as well.
Named After: Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage's titular villain.

Marley - War Magus
Usually would have either a Protector or another Dark Hunter (or even a Medic)
Named After: Bob Marley (Hate me for the bad jokes...)

Hellsong - Hexer
The reason for picking up EO2 firsthand. I love Hexers, they're better than Ninjas in EO3.
Named After: Hellsing?!

Django - Troubadour
My second favorite non-unlockable class in EO1. I had to let him in on this ride!
Named After: One of the villain in One Piece...

Side Team:

Vivianne - Protector
Just thought about having a Protector, because if my brother saw me playing. He would kill me if I didn't have one.

Ahmagawd - Medic
Used her for emergencies to cure people.

So... Thoughts?

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Re: Playing EO2 on a DS for the First Time

Postby Wolkenritter » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:20 am

Dark Hunters are technically the most powerful class in the game. Climax can instantly kill any cannon fodder or FOE below 50% of their Max HP. Dominate is the most powerful Limit skill in the game, fully binding any enemy without fail, this also complements Ecstasy quite nicely. The Bait skills can do tremendous damage to bosses if used properly.

Survivalists are the equivalent of Farmers... which means they suck. They have no damage output whatsoever. They have a niche with 1st Turn though, but overall they're a very weak class. This is unrelated to my bias with Gunners >_>

War Magi are the best healers, you don't need a Medic with one. So long as they have a sword equipped, they should always go first (Or at least, before the enemy) in battle, which is the main reason they're better than Medics (Who usually go last because of their weapon). Also since you have a Hexer you can use Cursecut and Transfer to keep your TP reserves high whilst exploring.

Hexers have the potential to trivialize the entire game with Revenge. Which can at most do a flat 2500 non-elemental damage if the Hexer has 999 HP and is on 1 HP. Enough to kill most bosses in 1 or 2 uses. Obviously don't use it unless you want to steamroll through the entire game =/

As for their other skills, Dampen or Frailty (Pick one) can increase the amount of damage the party deals. Suicide and Evil Eye are decent way for the Hexer to deal damage on bosses or FOE. Torpor can put entire groups of enemies to sleep, which makes random encounters less of a headache. Also if War Magi has Cursecut, make sure your Hexer has a way of inflicting Curse... don't remember what the skill was called >_>

I never used a Troubadour in EO2. From what I know though, their buffs aren't as powerful as they were in EO1. It doesn't help that a War Magus has the same buffs only much more powerful, At the cost of not being AoE.

As for Protector, you don't really need one in EO2. The Mist items are enough to survive any elemental attacks. The only real time I think a Protector is important is when fighting the boss on 30F. You need the Antielement skills in order to survive his elemental attacks. Front Guard though is a life saver against two bosses in the main game. The bosses on 15F and the mid-boss of the 5th stratum specifically.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Reynard-Miri » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:30 am

Hm. War Mage can synergize well with Hexer, but at least early on your going to want to focus on your War Mages healing skills.

Since you're not typically using a Protector, you're going to need to make up for that lack of defense with your other characters. Hexer and Troubadour can provide the raw damage reduction, and I know that Survivalists have their own version of Provoke in EO2. No idea how that will turn out, though.

I've never really liked Dark Hunters that much, so I can't really say anything on that front. Your Hexer looks like it's getting pulled in a lot of different directions at such an early level, though. (Supporting both your War Mage and/or Dark Hunter and providing defensive debuffs.)

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:43 am

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:50 am

If a foe kills me once I level up and try again. Throwing yourself at it with the same stats again and again will almost always have the same outcome. My party is level 8, what are you at now?

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:53 am

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:56 am

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:43 am

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:53 am

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:49 am

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:40 am

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:40 am

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:33 am

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:28 am

EMERGENCY:
How do I get pass the FOE in the 3rd Floor?!

Liferake
Hunter

Postby Liferake » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:37 am

You got a Lure Bell earlier, use that. If you don't have the Lure Bell/Sleep Bell, you can Chop the material to make it from the most-northwestern chop point.

Alternatively, use the Dark Hunters Racket or Troubadour's Luring.

40 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard”