Help save me from analysis paralysis! 1st floor for dummies?

Discuss the second game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

dungeoncrawler
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby dungeoncrawler » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:34 am

Ok, after reading the encouraging (and helpful!) words here (and then spending another WAY-too-many-hours carefully analyzing skills, pros/cons of various characters ;)), I finally decided on the following party:

Ronin / Medic / Landsknecht
Troubadour / Gunner

I spent all my initial money on better weapons -- the best defense is a good offense, right? ;)

I also distributed my initial 3 skill points like this:

Ronin: 1 STR Up, 1 Overhead, 1 Zamba (working towards Midareba)
Medic: 1 TP Up, 1 Healer, 1 Cure (I chose medic over WM because I want Revive... I anticipate dying A LOT ;))
Landsknecht: 1 STR Up, 1 Axes, 1 Deathaxe (I've read that axes are more powerful than swords, and I want a couple of heavy hitters in the front line)
Troubadour: 1 Songs, 1 Bravery, 1 Shelter (nice to be able to have some extra support early on. I also gave her a bow so she can fight from the back.)
Gunner: 1 TEC Up, 1 Guns, 1 Medishot (I chose this class in place of a Hexer/Alchemist because it seems to have a good mix of elemental, status, etc. as well as attack. Later, I'll focus on volt to balance out the Ronin's fire.)

Does this all seem relatively sane? :)

Also, I realize I am blatantly ignoring the kind advice given above about the "best party" recommendation, but now that I know what it is and why, I feel more comfortable breaking the rules. ;) My goal is to be heavy on offense, but with some good back up in supporting magic.

Btw, for other newbies like me, in addition to this wonderful site, I found the following other resources incredibly helpful:
- : Lots of the "for dummies" questions I was asking in my head.
- : Goes into great detail about each class and what skills they have, in addition to a bunch of statistics about what they do at each level.

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:08 pm

Incidentally, I'd like to point out that some of the numbers in The Real Dealer's FAQ are off. Notably, Alchemist spells are not a Damage% modifier.

[spoiler]I suppose I could just correct it but it does better display the damage difference or something I suppose. Plus I don't know the wATK value of the spells from rank 1 to 9 (113 at 10; Tier 2 is merely 150% of their damage).

I'd also like to note, for my e-peen/ego/whatever~ (it's 11 AM I forgot to sleep etc.), that the FAQ got a lot of the numbers (...okay, all) from Terence and me >>[/spoiler]

Anyway, the Gunner's Elemental Shots don't really need more than 1 point (going from Rank 1 to Rank 10 is only a 95% Damage Increase) if you need to free up points. The Gunner Binds and Stunshot are also not worth it, to be honest; the chance of Bind is too low and Gunner SPD is pretty bad so Stunshot won't go before enemies 100% of the time. That and Force Skill: Riot Gun is a guaranteed "goes first" Stun.

Medic > War Magus if you don't have a Hexer to supplement their cuts, to be honest. Well, maybe. WM also is a beefier Healer and has better turn-order (Medics use Staves and have a .1 SPD multiplier as opposed to WM Swords which are 2.0). Combat Medic, which I assume you're working towards, is pretty decent damage, though you'll need a lot of +STR equipment to make up for their low STR growth.

My only real suggestion would probably be a Dark Hunter over a Landsknecht; they actually have a better STR growth and Viper is a cheap (Skill point wise) damage attack, Climax is amazing for harder-than-normal normal encounters, any FoE, and two bosses, and Force Skill: Dominate (-> Ecstacy later) is pretty much broken.

dungeoncrawler
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby dungeoncrawler » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:07 am

Margh! Dang it. :)

Ok, since I really can't make up my mind on what party members to go with, here's what I decided to do: Use all of the characters, in three parties, and level them up more-or-less simultaneously. :D No more paralysis!

Party 1, "SPF 200" (because everyone's so pale, get it? ;P):

R / DH / WM
H / G

I was skeptical about this party, mainly because WM seems so useless without a H, and none of H's spells really grabbed me. But I decided to go all out with the original recommendation and create this party.

WHAT a difference it's made having that much offensive power on the team. I finished my first floor map and made it to level 4 in about an hour. Fellow newbies, start with this party. You'll find the initial part of the game *much* less frustrating.

Party 2: "The Pillage People":

S / S / S
S / S

This is a scouting party whose sole purpose is to have lots of Take / Mine / Chop and find stuff I can sell for muchos dineros to buy the best weapons/armour. Hey, I never said I wasn't cheap. ;)

Party 3: The "Chocobo Chicks":

L / P / T
M / A

A throw-back to my childhood days of yore playing Final Fantasy. There's a fighter, a paladin, a white mage, a black mage, and there's even a spoony bard! ;) And it's an all female party because, frankly, we kick butt. ;)

This is the party I really wanted to play through this game with originally, but ended up dying. Badly. A LOT. So now I'm going to try following up the war path cleared by SPF 200 and see if I can get some enjoyment out of these characters.

On a side note, I have to say, I can't remember the last time I felt this giddy about a game. I spent two weekends in a row doing nothing but reading forum topics, making spreadsheets, comparing pros/cons, etc. This hasn't happened in years and it's such a wonderful feeling.

Did this happen to anyone else, or am I just weird? :D

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:31 am

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:29 am

Seniwac
Manticor

Postby Seniwac » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:49 pm

dungeoncrawler
Ragelope

Postby dungeoncrawler » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:10 am

Wow. So it turns out The Pillage People are not only great for getting gold quickly, but they make an awesome scouting/exploration/mapping party.

Once I got the items needed to make a Power Ring, I made 9 of them. Gave the back row of three Survivalists two each, gave the front row of two Survivalists one each, with a Guts Wrist in the other slot.

At about level 5 or 6, you start being able to kill everything in level 1 and most of 2 without losing any health: because their agility is so high, the entire team fights before the enemy gets a turn. The agility also seems to help with escaping from battles in the case of running into a FOE accidentally.

So I can send The Pillage People to a new level of the labyrinth, have them kill a few things so I get items to make stronger equipment, and then use the gold I've made from all the taking/mining/chopping to buy the equipment for the primary teams.

It's evil, but it works. :P Probably not for too many more floors, I'm betting, though. ;)

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:05 am

Stalker is amazing for trying to map out floors without pesky random encounters. As for Escaping, the formula is:

Escape Chance = [10 * (AGI + LUC + 5) / (Enemy's Average AGI + Enemy's Average LUC + 5)]

Escape Up adds +30% at max level (...which is one point) and each time you Escape, after the first, adds an additional +10% Chance to Escape, up to the maximum of 90% Total Chance to Escape.

hotspot
Ragelope

Postby hotspot » Wed May 20, 2009 3:48 pm

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Wed May 20, 2009 4:23 pm

Landsknecht is the weakest of the melee damage dealers (tying with War Magus for Swords route). Alchemist is probably around the same for backrow damage output; I'd argue that a Survivalist could possibly out damage them but that'd need some numbers and testing.

[spoiler]Which would make the order:

Revenge Hexer > Gunner > Survivalist > Alchemist > Troubadour (SHOCKER)

Late game with best equip, Gunner can outdamage a 999 HP Revenge Hexer but ... yeah.

...yeah, I just like to crush hopes and dreams :( If you want to use a Landsknecht or Alchemist, it's up to you. I just give the numbers and the analysis based off of that.[/spoiler]

People can hate it all they want but, really, RDW / GH is a damn efficient team >> Can drop the R (or DH if you don't want to be tempted to use Dominate) for a Protector to make the team less squishy but it really is an efficient team.

[spoiler]+1 e-peen[/spoiler]

25 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard”