Save the monsters...

Post your Etrian Odyssey or unrelated Fan Fiction and Fan Art.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
10 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
Isabelyes
Alraune
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Save the monsters...

Postby Isabelyes » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:36 pm

This is my "Written Legend".
It's based upon two quests, that I finished after each other, and they made me think of something that could have happened, if EO wouldn't be a game; If real people would traverse the Labyrinth.

Please note that, while writing this in OpenOffice, I used this way of writing some things.

This is my story (Beware, it's pretty long) :

'Hey there, mateys!' Cass yelled.
'Come to brag 'bout your skills, eh?'
The adventurers, slightly intimidated by his big smile, shook their heads.
'No?' He laughed.
'So what you be coming here for, then? Free beers? Wanna brag 'bout how many free beers you've taken from this poor fella?' He said, as he took a few bottles of liquor out of a closet.
After he had filled 7 glasses (one for each of his guests, and two for him), he handed them to his friends.
'By the way,' He whispered, 'I've got a new request for you. Wanna hear it?'
The adventurers, not knowing whether it was his request or someone else's, decided to take the risk and nodded. 'Now that's the spirit!' Cass said loudly, after which he took one of his glasses, filling it with even more liquid that looked so unfamiliar that the adventurers would have definitely refused if he asked them whether they would like to taste it.
'So?' Cecil asked, watching the empty glass in his hand.
'So what?' Cass wondered happily.
Sayuri sighed. She stood up, placed her Katana next to her chair, took the glass out of his hand with one swift hit-and-catch, and slapped him. And again. 'You're way too drunk, Cathy.'
Cass said nothing. He didn't like being called “Cathy”.
Sayuri sat down. 'The Quest, Cass.'
'Hey, hey,' Cass mumbled. 'Having your period, or what?'
'Come on, you two!' Edge laughed. 'No need to get into a fight again!'
He stepped forward, placing his large shield between them.
'Now then. Sayuri, sit down.'
After exchanging some last violent looks, Sayuri muttered something in her own language before taking place on her chair.
'There!' Edge exclaimed happily. 'Now, Cass, if you'd like...?'
'Alright, alright,'Cass said, ' Cause you asked me so nicely.'
He sat down, too. 'It's about a poor child and his mother.'
'No father?' Cecil asked, with a glistening in his eyes.
'Nope.' Cass sighed. 'Her husband was an explorer. Kinda famous, too.'
'Do we know him?' Edge wondered.
'I don't think so.' Cass told him. 'You see, he explored a different labyrinth. The Yggdrassil Labyrinth of Etria. Ever heard of it?'
The adventurers shook their heads.
Cass continued. 'It's a cute little town. Anyway, the point is that he died, and he left his wife a strange stone-like...something. For some reason, she wanted to have this relic placed in the labyrinth.'
Cecil stood up. 'You can't be serious! We have to go to all the way to Etria?'
'So you have heard of it!' Cass said with a sly smile.
'I haven't, and that's why I know it's gotta be somewhere far away.' Cecil explained.
'Well,' Cass said, with an even bigger smile, 'You don't have to go there.'
'What do you mean?' Rosa asked, alarmed by his I've-got-a-plan look.
'You see,' Cass continued, 'Technically, she said “Labyrinth”. So, I don't care where you take it, as long as it's maze-like. You could even take it to my room...if you can find it!'
He laughed. 'Anyway, there is another thing you can do.'
He took his bag, lifted it up and placed it on the table, causing one of his glasses to fall.
The adventurers stared as he messed around with his bag, when he finally found what he was looking for. 'Ta-da!' He exclaimed, as he lifted his hand so that everyone could see the round
circle-like stone in his hand. 'It's beautiful...' Kira whispered, not being able to keep her scarlet eyes off it. 'That it is!' Cass said. 'I'm sure this little baby is worth thousands!'
'Oh no...' Rosa said sadly. 'Cass, you aren't really suggesting that we should sell this, are you?'
'I ain't doing anything.' Cass smiled, as he gave it to Cecil. 'So, whaddaya think?'
'Please, Cecil...' Rosa begged.
'What will it be, then, Cecil?' Edge asked.
'Well,' Cecil began, 'We don't really have much en left, do we?'
'Hey,' Cass said loudly. 'You do whatever you want, as long as you get out of here!
It's already dark outside, and I don't want to be paying for yer dinner, you hear?'

'You aren't really going to sell it, are you, Cecil?' Kira asked him cautiously.
Cecil said nothing.
'Alright, buddy, let's put you to a test! We're gonna go to Sithoth Trading, and if you can resist the temptation, you pass. Here, come on.' Edge said as he poked him with his shield.
'Look, Abigail is waving! You can't say no to a lady, can you?'
They looked at each other, smiling. 'Alright,' Cecil said. 'Let's go buy some warp wires.'

'Abigail!' Sayuri said loudly. The little girl let out a short, startled scream, when she realized it wasn't a monster of any kind. Although...well, it wasn't.
'Yes, Ma'am?' She asked, trying to be as polite as possible.
Sayuri showed her a sharp, beautiful Katana with a blood-coloured handle.
'How much does this one cost?'
'This Nenekiri, Ma'am?' Abigail asked, after which she told Sayuri the price.
Sayuri looked at the weapon, turned it around a few times, and said: 'I'll take this one ,then.'
Abigail, noticeably relieved, hurried to her desk to store the en.
'Alright, alright, let's buy these things;
And let's equip these swords and these rings...' Edge and Cecil sang together,
But they quickly stopped as they saw Sayuri's Nenekiri come to a halt an inch away from their eyes.
'You aren't drunk either, are you?' Sayuri asked with an I'll-kill-you-if-you-are look.
'No!' Cecil said, still shocked. 'Sheesh, Saya, you almost hit us.'
Sayuri showed them her Katana. 'You won't be buying those anyway.'
'Hey, wait a moment! You know we're low on en! Why would you buy a new Katana at a time like this?' Edge asked.
'Why would you buy those, either?' Sayuri said, not even looking at them.
'Well – that's – that's not the point!' Cecil stuttered.
'It is. Discussion over.' Sayuri said with a fierce, resolute look in her eyes.
Rosa took Cecil's hand. 'Just let her.' She whispered.
Cecil said nothing. Yet, as he mentally prepared to put all his stuff back, he noticed that his hands were already empty. 'Done.' Kira said, winking at the two boys. She smiled when she saw Rosa getting angry. 'Relax!' She said happily, winking at Rosa, too, which only made her angrier.
'That's not it!' Rosa sighed. 'We haven't even got any en left for a warp wire.'
Silence.
'That kinda sucks.' Kira admitted. 'So, what do we do?'
She looked at Cecil, as if to warn him not to do anything stupid,
but he had already opened his bag and was searching for the relic Cass gave them.
'Put it away!' She demanded with burning eyes, but Abigail had already laid eyes upon the round stone. 'Woooow...' She whispered, as she put her hand to her mouth.
'Look at these inscriptions! I bet they're from a really strong spell!'
'Err,' Cecil said, but before he knew it she had snatched the stone from his hand, turning it around and looking at it in wonder. 'Oh, please!' She exclaimed happily. 'Could I have it? Look – It looks wonderful! If I put this in front of the store, people will notice it shining, and they'll go inside, and buy stuff!' She looked at Edge, quickly switching into cute-mode.
'Never say no to a lady, eh?' Cecil whispered. Edge hesitated for a few moments, but finally handed it over to Abigail. 'Can I have it? O, thank you, thank you!' She was over the moon with joy.
'Here – it isn't much, but I hope it'll help!' She said, still not believing that the relic was truly hers.
'500 en?' Asked Rosa. 'Er-'
'Yes?' Abigail interrupted her.
'Oh!' Rosa said, startled. 'Oh – it's nothing. That is, I mean, could we buy a warp wire, too?'
'Of course!' Abigail smiled. 'For free! Because you're always so kind to me!'
Kira stared at the ground, ignoring the little girl as she tried to give her a long, red wire.
Wondering why she didn't do anything, Cecil decided to step in front of her and accepted the warp wire. 'Thanks, my dear!' He told Abigail. She blushed.

'So,' Cass asked, 'You sold it anyway? Har har!' He snorted, put his glass on the table and continued:
'I knew it! You explorers are all the same! Here's the reward, buddies. As far as I know, you've done a great job, alright?' The adventurers nodded, but Sayuri asked: 'What's the catch?'
'Huh?' Cass stared at her.
'I know you.' Sayuri sighed. 'There's something you want us to do, right?'
Cass hesitated a few seconds, trying to figure out how in the world someone could know him that well, and finally said: 'Well, there's another request. From that small lady of Sithoth Trading. You know her, right?'
'Yes, go on.' Kira said quickly.
'So! Apparently, she heard something, but-'
'Tell us,' Rosa interrupted him. 'Is this going to be as vague as your other explanations?'
'Err – yes. You know the drill: Just go to Sithoth Trading and talk to her, alright?'

'You're back again?' Abigail asked, slightly surprised. 'Was the Nenekiri blunt? Oh no – I forgot to sharpen it, didn't I?' She quickly tried to take the Katana from Sayuri's hands, but was stopped by Edge.
'Actually, we're here about the request you posted. Cass told us to see you.'
'He did?' She hesitated. 'Well, you see, it's kind of embarrassing – oh, I'm so sorry! I can't tell you!
Please just tell Cass that you finished the job and that you can have the reward!'
She looked at them as if she was going to cry, and ran off.
'Well...' Rosa sighed.
'Hey, a job's a job, right?' Edge asked with his I'm-so-right look.
'No! Can't you see? Something's bothering her!'
'Well, that's important.' Kira mumbled sarcastically.
'Hey – what is it with you all?!' Rosa yelled.
Edge, in a reflex, hid behind his shield before quickly realizing that Rosa, unlike Sayuri, wasn't a monster.
'Alright, alright! Sheesh. Let's just tell Cass what happened, alright? We can still help her after we've got the reward.'

'What's this?' Cass laughed, snorted, and laughed again. 'She couldn't tell you? Hah! Who do you think you are, thieves?' He became serious. 'Wait – you are. I'm sorry, my friends, but I won't give you nothing till you find out what's going on!'
He walked away to get get more beer, while speaking to himself.
'Can't even handle little girls – Hah! Explorers these days...'
He stopped, and turned around. 'Say what? Lemme help ya. She's usually having dinner at 9 PM,
and I know, from personal experience,' he stopped, looked at his glass, filled with purple juice,
and laughed. '...That people talk way more when they've eaten!'
Apparently, he thought he had just made the best joke ever, as he couldn't stop chuckling for hours.

'Hello there! What are you doing here?' Abigail asked. 'Don't you always have dinner at the inn?'
'We do,' Rosa began, but Edge interrupted her by saying: 'But we missed you, and we really wanted to see you.' He and Cecil smiled, but both were quickly hit in the face by Sayuri and Kira.
Abigail, seemingly oblivious to them getting slapped, blushed.
'That's – That's really kind of you, Sir!'
'Err – well...' Edge mumbled, touching his cheek to check if he had broken anything.
'It's about your request.' Kira said bluntly. 'You ran away, crying, and refused to tell us anything.'
She looked at Abigail with burning eyes, as if she wanted her to disappear.
'Oh – well, it's...really – err - ' She stuttered.
'Relax.' Rosa said with a warm voice. 'Just tell us what you wanted to tell us.'
Abigail wiped her tears away, looked at Rosa and finally said: 'The other day, there were these explorers in my shop who were talking about how they met a huge monster, and how they really had to kill it.'
'Well,' Cecil said, 'That isn't so bad, is it?'
Abigail shook her head. 'That's not it! This monster had two little baby, and I – I just can't get it out of my head. They'll probably be dead by now, but...' She looked hopefully at the adventurers.
'Could you – Pretty please – give them this?' She showed them some scarlet-red meat.
'They've lost their mother, and I don't think hey can live on their own, so...'
Sayuri took the meat from her, nodding.
'You'll do it? Really? Oh, thank you so much!' she exclaimed, as she tried to hug everyone at once.
Upon realizing that that was practically impossible, she tried to hug everyone one by one, but stopped when Kira looked at her in a threatening way.

'Hey, Cecil,' Edge laughed. 'Don't you just love pink things? Pink flowers, and – pink underwear?'
As they roared with laughter, Cecil tried to take a few flowers from the tree and gave them to Rosa in a very suggestive way, before realizing that they weren't actually flowers, but pink ladybugs.
As soon as they touched her hand, they stung her, and quickly flew away.
'Well,' Edge smiled, 'That was pretty romantic.' He chuckled.
'Hey!' said Rosa. 'That hurt, you know!'
'Oh, come on!' Edge sighed. 'You got magical healing powers; use them!'
'Or I could just kiss your hand and tell you that there's nothing to worry about!' Cecil suggested.
'Well -' Began Rosa, but she interrupted herself by screaming loudly.
'This – there's!' With a pained expression on her face, she pointed at a small, little bird hiding behind an even smaller pile of fallen leaves, constantly flapping its wings as if it tried to fly.
'Wait a moment -' Cecil thought for a few seconds, and said: 'Could this be the monster That sweet little Ab wanted us to feed?'
' “Sweet little Ab”? Cecil, you're disgusting.' Kira said, with a sad look in her eyes.
Cecil ignored her. 'Rosa – Could you pass the meat?' He and Edge smiled at each other,
but their smiles were quickly wiped off their faces as Sayuri threw it directly into Edge's face.
...Edge's smile was wiped off his face. Cecil just started to laugh harder, as he grabbed the meat and tried to give it to the bird. 'Here, Birdie. C'mon. It's fresh, it's delicious, it's meat. Here, eat it.'
Yet, the closer he got, the more scared the little monster seemed to get, until...
'Birdie?' Cecil asked, scared. The bird didn't even look at the meat. Its eyes were so unfocused and confused with fear, that the adventurers wondered whether it even saw them.
But then, suddenly, the bird stood up and tried to kill itself.
'This can't be right...' Rosa whispered. Already covered in his own blood, the monster didn't stop, and with every piece it took out of its body he seemed to become more and more frenzied.
And then it stopped. The poor beast had pecked itself to death.

'What was that?' Edge asked. His body trembled, his voice shaking.
'I've seen many things,' Cecil said, looking at his feet, 'But none as horrible as this.'
Rosa started to cry, and even Sayuri's eyes became wet.
Yet, one of the adventurers didn't do anything.
'Kira?' Cecil asked, unsure what to think of her abnormally indifferent attitude, and about her small yet noticeable smile. 'Kira?!' He repeated. He couldn't hold it any longer; tears were flowing freely from his eyes. Confused, he only stared at Kira.
And she stared back.

Somehow, her happy face calmed Cecil.
She made him feel peaceful. He had never really realized, until now, how beautiful she was.
'Hello, Cecil.' She turned her face to him in a friendly, yet seductive way. Her long black hair, and her even longer black cloak calmly answered the call of the wind; revealing certain things...
She giggled, as she walked towards him. Her scarlet eyes, burning with passion, looked into his.
She was really close to him now. He could hear her breathe. He could feel her desire.
Her red lips moved gracefully as she talked, saying: 'There's something I want you to do for me...'

Cecil woke up. Confused – what happened? - he opened his eyes.
He wished he had kept them closed.

Surrounded by a pool of blood, he stood up. He saw weapons. He saw armor. He didn't see a warp wire.
He saw his own sword, bathed in claret pieces of human flesh.
He saw his fallen comrades. Blood freely flowed out of their wounds,
Their hearts not pulsing, their bodies not moving an inch.
Killed. Yet, somebody was missing:
Kira.
'What have I done?' Cecil wondered, not believing his own eyes.
Even Sayuri was slain, her Katana broken, shattered in a thousand pieces.
Poor Rosa, her head cut off.
He had even killed his best friend, Edge.
He started to cry.

'Hey there.' Cecil mumbled to himself. 'Hey – There.' He repeated, trying to say the same sentence in every way possible.
Yet, this time, something heard him.

It was the second child, the brother of the poor bird that committed suicide.
And it was hungry.
'Hey there.' Cecil laughed, yet he kept his eyes closed. He hadn't eaten for five days, he had drunk only blood of his friends. It wasn't nearly enough. He was drained of all power, not even able to stand up. Unable to defend himself.

The monster saw Cecil talking, curiously stepping forward.
Soon, it realized that Cecil was a living creature, and that he could be eaten.
It hopped onto Cecil's hand, making a high-pitched sound as it looked at the incredible pool of food that was in front of it.
Planting its sharp feet in Cecil's lips, it bit his eye, violently ripping it out.
Cecil screamed in pure terror, but that only made the monster more aggressive.
Tasting every inch of Cecil's body, it cut everything open and drank his blood, feeding upon his entrails.

Never underestimate the Labyrinth...

I hope it turned out nice.
Please tell me what you think of it!

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:09 am

Every time you hit tab in Word, you need to double paragraph on here.

Like this.

But with so much dialogue that would make this HUGE

Isabelyes
Alraune

Postby Isabelyes » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:44 am

...I never used tab?
Maybe it has something to do with this site?
for I used OpenOffice...

Isabelyes
Alraune

Postby Isabelyes » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:14 pm

*Sigh*

...anybody? hints, tips?

pucha
Ragelope

Postby pucha » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:33 am

Isabelyes
Alraune

Postby Isabelyes » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:24 pm

First of all, thanks for replying.

I agree with the spaces thing. It sure looks way more readable that way.
BTW, what do you mean with "Parenthesis"?
I'm sorry, but english isn't my first language, so...

And regarding the description thing, I'd figure most of you already have
Cass and Abigail and all burned in your minds.
...and I'm not good at describing things...T-T

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:40 pm

(these are parentheses)

Isabelyes
Alraune

Postby Isabelyes » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:00 pm

Ah, thanks, I remember now.
(How could I have forgotten something like that...)

...Bad pun intended.

Edit: Oh, damn, I made my 100th post one with a bad pun. Yay me!

pucha
Ragelope

Postby pucha » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:06 am

Hee that just makes it more special! ^^b

Describing doesn't always have to be a painful process~ Just every now and then mention something about their expressions, or how someone new might interact with them based on their looks (we all judge by looks first, unfortunately...^^;; ) it doesn't have to be heavy at all. =)

Isabelyes
Alraune

Postby Isabelyes » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:16 pm

10 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “ItL's Legends and Artwork”